GPS Software..

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by roadtech, Sep 20, 2007.

1. roadtech macrumors newbie

Looking for a bit of help..
    I'm looking for a software that allows the mac computer to become a GPS. The window's machines have a program that has the software then has a little USB tracking device that you plug into your USB. I don't have a Intel machine otherwise I'd seriously think about purchasing that one due to all the trouble I've had with finding one for the Mac. I've looked at route buddy, but that program only talks with a Garmin, or other USB GPS devices.

Please let me know if anyone knows of anything..

Thanks

2. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i was looking for a gps app last year and the closet thing that i found was google earth + gps2gex (allows you to connect a bluetooth gps unit to google earth, google it). i felt that google earth was kinda sketchy so i never used it much. in the end i just put tomtom on my symbian-based cell phone and i've never looked back.

3. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I've got a Garmin foretrex 201 which has a serial output. I hook it up to my MacBook with a USB-Serial bridge.

I've been too tight to fork out for software and am using the freeware stuff at the mo but I've only got stuff to download track and waypoint data from the gps - not something that will make the mac become a gps.

Have a look at http://www.gpsy.com/ though.

4. gutter macrumors newbie

sunfast,
    I have:
    - the garmin foretrex 101, which is essentially the same thing as the 201 minus the rechargeable battery.
    - 1 serial output cable, which connects to the device (garmin)
    - and 1 serial to usb cable (dynex)

I have also downloaded and installed the driver for the cable and am able to see the cable in the system profiler. It registers "USB-Serial controller D"

The problem I am facing is that none of the freeware programs, some demos some full usage, can read the gps device. I've tried gpsy.com, loadmytracks, and houdahgeo. I realize with so many links in the chain that a cable could be the answer to my problem. However, I don't want to buy any more cables than I need to. Who makes the cables that you're using.
    thanks