gps solution out there?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dukebound85, Oct 16, 2007.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

is there a device that is a gps receiver that can communicate via wifi to ipt or through dock connector? would an app be relatively easy to make for this if there was?

i dont want to get a nuvi if my ipt has this possible capability

2. trance728 macrumors member

well there is already somewhat of a gps program for the touch, its the navizon program and it links up with the google maps program. its not gps because it grabs its location from wifi nodes so its not always picking up a signal but you can use it to get your location and then enter in a destination and it will give you step by step directions to that destination.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

My guess is that some company will come up with a solution. After all, the iPod, and now iPhone, accessory business is booming!

4. SuperDaddy macrumors member

God, I hope you are right. But I wouldn't hold your breath. Apple is seriously lacking in the "gps mapping" and, well, just the general mapping software area in general. I am by no means a microsoft supporter, but the mapping and gps mapping options for windows kicks ass compared to what apple offers.

A company would obviously have to offer a gps receiver unit (a small plastic square antennae for those unaware) with an ipod dock connector. Thats a pretty specific piece of equipment. These antennaes are quite common with a usb connection, but thats about it. I had the usb version for my dell laptop. Ally you had to do was connect the antennae via usb, set the receiver end (its very small) on the dash, open up microsoft streets and trips, and bingo.....you have yourself a 15" gps screen.

But yes, an ipod gps antennae would be tits!!!!! Since switching to a mac, I have been forced to move on to a dedicated stand-alone gps unit (nuvi 350).