GPS thinks I'm in Jersey?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Deadman64, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

My GPS randomly thinks im in jersey sometimes. It seems to only be doing this after 2.1. Should I try restoring my phone?

Also what exactly does restore do? Will I have to reinstall all my apps? Will I lose all txt conversations?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Are you in Jersey? Because if you are then it's working fine. :D

Try a restore.

3. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

I used to get a similar problem with my iPod Touch (obviously not GPS). My wireless router has never been set up anywhere but my house, yet when I tried using the location services on my Touch, it would go to my Dad's house... Now with my iPhone 3g though, it pinpoints me exactly where I am.

4. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Do you have a WiFi connection when this occurs? If you do then probably a neighbor of yours used to live in NJ and had their wireless router there. Skyhook did their wireless mapping and associated that MAC address with a location in NJ. The person then moved, brought their router with them, so when the iPhone uses WiFi to triangulate location, it thinks you're in NJ.

If this is happening when you've got the actual GPS blue dot though... don't have an explanation for that.

5. ski2moro macrumors 6502

When I was in the Apple Store in Cincinnati, the iPhone showed me in Garden City, NJ. The Genius saw it, too. Their explanation was that the server was located in NJ, so the GPS was getting its location from the WiFi server. Whatever. It still works correctly 99% of the time.

6. Deadman64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have no WIFI connection, and I'm not in Jersey lol. I'm in State College, PA.

Will a restore possibly fix this? What does a restore do? Will I lose anything [texts, call history, etc.]??

7. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Remains to be seen if a restore would fix this. Have you tried just restarting the iPhone? Restore just reinstalls the OS. Backup your phone right before the restore and you won't lose a thing. After the restore completes it will ask if you want to restore a previous backup.

8. Deadman64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok just checked with a friend. his does the same thing. I tested GPS on Edge and it locates me correctly [not precise but a little circle around], on 3G it thinks im in jersey.

9. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

If it's giving you the blue ring and not the little dot then it's not using a GPS signal.