Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bulldog VII

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
London
Hi all

A quick plea to see if anyone has any ideas of an app to download for an iphone 4. A friend of mine is attempting to swim round the Isle of Wight (56 miles) tomorrow & I want an app that she can download to her phone to allow me to post on her blogsite the progress

Anyone have any ideas?? I've searched on the app store & all the ones I can see are joke ones??

I don't know if she has a mobile me account (I don't think she does) so the find my phone is out of the window??

Thanks for a prompt reply & you can email any links to me at pc.clare@me.com

Thanks again

Phil

dffdce

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Don't know if this would work for you but I use SendLocation (99 cents).
It is not a complete solution however it simply sends LAT,LON,SPEED,HEADING,VACC,HACC,ALTITUDE to the URL you provide. You need to have access to a server and do a little programming...

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
How in the world is she going to have an iPhone working safely while swimming in the ocean?

There's waterproof bags you can get for your phone (not just the iPhone). Some scuba divers actually use iPhones (for music, not for calls :) ) and iPods underwater when they're waiting for decompression.

But the real question is how far out will she be, and will she have reception for it to do the uploads. Well, and how long the battery will last. 56 miles is a hefty swim.

Bulldog VII

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
London
Hi all

Thanks for your help, but managed to set her find iphone up on her phone & if you are interested in the world record attempt you can follow them on the blogsite

http://www.roundtheisleofwight.blogspot.com

6 ladies are attempting a 56 mile relay swim & they will hopefully complete it in around 18 hours..... rather them than me & the phone is on the safety boat!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.