GPS turn by turn? How?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by michael31986, Sep 17, 2012.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

Does it use data to download maps as it loads? Or maps built in. I probably would rather still buy a Tom Tom app cause map is built in.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I still think navigon and tomtom would be better. Yes the stock maps will pull carrier data as you drive.

3. wellok macrumors 6502

Yes, it needs data. I've had iOS 6 on my 4S for a while now with a decent amount of turn by turn use and haven't noticed much of a drain on my data, but if you don't want to use it then yeah, TomTom or similar is the way to go. I bought the TomTom app previously and liked it, btw.

4. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I used the turn by turn directions last week in Las Angeles and boy did it send me some funky ways (like telling me to get off the freeway take a side street and then get back on the freeway for no reason).

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Waze does that, but to avoid congestion.

6. Powrie macrumors 6502

I wonder if it downloads and saves the map of your area, or if it has to re-download wherever your driving.

7. JJJosh41 macrumors regular

I use MotionX. While the maps are not "built in" as they are downloaded as you go, the app works amazingly well. I have taken MANY road trips around the US (mostly from midwest to east coast) and have never had any issues other than very minor awkward turns.

8. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I will probably still use my Navigon app since I did pay for the thing. Plus I do enjoy having localized maps. Of course I've been using it for the past two years so I think it was $50 well spent so far.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, it doesnt download or save any maps on your iphone.

Same here.
    Love how they keep improving it too.

10. Emilio G macrumors regular

Turn-by-Turn for Apple Maps is powered by TomTom.

11. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I had a rough idea on where I was and ignored the detour. There was no congestion or issues with the road. I will say it was pretty slick to just tell Siri where I wanted to go and have it launch the maps app for me.

12. iMule macrumors 6502

MotionX is impressive. It's always been. I wonder how much space an offline iOS map would take up? That would be awesome for iPod Touch owners (with the addition of a GPS chip of course).

13. avaloncourt, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012

avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Oh, god no. Really? I hope not. Some time ago I bought the TomTom app for the iPad, used it twice and never used it again. (That was an expensive mistake.) I let it do its thing once and it created a route that took me from the highway to the absolute worst back roads. Every time I tried to create a route is would come up with these bizarre overland excursions.

I bought Navigon after that and have been pretty happy with them even though it was bought by Garmin. Garmin is just too money greedy about every little thing.

I've seen posted a while ago that TomTom is better for the western US than east.

14. robopath macrumors regular

I like having the TomTom app in places where the network is bad or non-existent. Also, I put it on my old iphones and ipads to have as spare gps units. I used to upgrade my TomTom units every few years to get the latest features, now the app is probably the best $50 I have ever spent.

15. matty.p macrumors 6502

That's not entirely true. Once you route it does download the maps, and a small area around those maps as well. I was recently driving and lost service for probably 1/3 of the drive and the maps continued to work and the turn by turn worked just fine.

16. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

The GPS turn-by-turn will work with your data plan (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint. ((T-Mobile)) and provide spoken with SIRI. Unlike Tom-Tom and other "Navigation Apps" Turn-By-Turn will work when not in the Maps app. it will show as a banner on the top of the screen so you can check emails, send texts....etc:D:D:cool::eek:

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, downloads them for that particular route but doesnt save lets say your whole state or US map data on the device for later use.
    And obviously if you're not connected to Wifi then it pulls that using carrier data for that route.
    Then once you closethe app it discards that info and next time you want to use it redownloads again and so on.

Guess what.
    Tomtom and navigon and many other nav apps still work and backround in the back. You can hear the voice directions even if you go to homescreen and open another app. :D:D:cool::eek:

18. matty.p macrumors 6502

That's not true either. I was in France recently and loaded the map at my hotel and because they are vector when I was out and about reopened the maps app a few times with no service and data turned off. The map is stored in the app, I'm not sure of the cache but even after closing the app there is some data that is stored and can be used later. You can't search or use those services, but the map is persistent.

19. redman042 macrumors 68020

Even though I love Navigon, the convenience that Siri brings will have me using Apple Maps a lot. I'm really looking forward to trying it.

Navigon has a fairly touch-friendly UI, but not having to even look at the screen to get a status update on my trip, or ask for a nearby gas station, will be a huge benefit.

20. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

I'm sticking with Navigon, probably have spent $50 or $60 total on it over the last few years...and worth every penny. I've used it all over the USA and it has been fantastic. I'm often in areas with either no data (no signal) or very poor (rural areas) and as such, any navigation which requires a data connection just doesn't cut it for my uses.

My only complaint with Navigon is the address entry system. It really sucks. However, there is a fantastic $1.99 or $2.99 app called "Navigon Now" I have been using which allows you to input an address and it pipes it directly in to Navigon instead of going through the tedious state-city-street-number crap.

Still happy Apple has a native turn-by-turn system, I have used it just for testing and it works fine. If it had the option to store maps offline and run in "Offline" mode I'd probably consider making it my GPS of choice but alas, no cigar.

21. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

I used Apple Maps the first time last week to meet someone up in Boulder. I made it there with only passing the destination by a block and making a U-turn.

Coming back, I had two make two attempts to get on the turnpike to come back because each time, I could not tell exactly where I needed to turn, turning to soon and heading west instead of east.

Yes, it is powered by TomTom maps. It used very little data. In my one month, I used 100MB.