GPS - TurnByTurn?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jeremy1026, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Has there been any information if the GPS along side Maps will feature Turn-By-Turn directions?

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

No more information. Wait till Friday. There are several current threads on GPS.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Google Maps is turn-by-turn already... it's just not real-time self-updating. Maybe; I've not heard it, but that doesn't mean no.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

What do you define "TurnByTurn" to be?

The current iPhone does that, and it will be the same with the iPhone 3G.

Regardless, i'm pretty sure it will tell you when it needs to turn. It is also possible for GPS makers like TomTom to make their own programs that have voice directions and such.

5. Jeremy1026 thread starter macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

I searched for "GPS" and after scanning pages 1, 2 and 3 only 1 thread title contained GPS.

Update my next direction after I complete the previous. (Ex. Turn Right at 1st St., I turned right at 1st St. It would then automatically change to Turn Left on West St.)

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Tom Tom said they had an app ready for the iPhone 3G, but Apple prohibits such turn by turn directions per the SDK agreement. Tom Tom said they would get it worked out with Apple but that was weeks ago since anything else has been said. Hopefully it works out.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well, since the GPS will be able to track live where you are moving, i can almost guarantee that there will be turn by turn directions. Don't take my word for it though or anyones word, as no one knows.

8. Waterpolo820 macrumors regular

9. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

The chances are that google took care of it. If not, you could always jailbreak the phone eventually and someone will make a cool program.

11. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I think the OP means that, like traditional GPS devices, the 3G will be tracking you as you travel and tell you when to turn ahead of time. As far as I know, from listening to people like Leo Laporte, Adam Christiansen, etc., the 3G does not have that functionality. I don't think that the GPS maintains a constant connection to allow true "turn-by-turn." The TWIT folks think that 3rd party apps may bring that functionality into play. I guess we shall see pretty soon.

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Google is on it. But like Apple, is keeping quiet till it's got things ready. For most people, A simple Google map, with tracking that's able to be turned off and on easily/alter the frequency of fixes will do. Seeing as Google Maps can give turn by turn map instructions in text, and then display that on the map, and it can also locate you by GPS, it isn't too much of a stretch of the imagination they're going to take this further.
    All that's needed really, is Google to get a text to voice system in there. Maybe Apple has been working on that too...

13. samab macrumors 6502a

It has NOTHING to do with text to voice system. It has EVERYTHING to do with MONEY.

There are only 2 map makers in the world (Nokia bought one map maker and TomTom bought the other map maker). They charge 2 prices for maps --- a low price for normal maps and a very high price for turn-by-turn maps. Google paid the cheap price --- therefore neither Google or any one that uses those maps can do turn-by-turn navigation.

TomTom can do anything they want --- they are the map maker. However, TomTom wants to charge $10 a month (like every other cell phone carriers) --- and Apple's itunes store isn't capable to charge monthly fees yet.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It's the carriers that charge monthly, not TomTom. For example, ATT has a monthly fee for their version of TeleNav (which uses TeleAtlas maps, btw).

Verizon likewise charges monthly for their VZ Navigator.

TomTom sells their PDA navigation version outright for $150. Garmin sells theirs for about $100. Some overseas carriers include TomTom as a freebie in some phones.

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

And who did Google get a 5 year deal with? ;)

What's to stop Google making there own maps either? It's not like they have KML, and Google Earth is it?
    Heck, Google will probably be doing a lot of mutual back scratching with TeleAtlas/TomTom...