GPS Unit that syncs to Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by phas3, Jun 26, 2012.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

I'm a technician for AT&T we have a dispatch system for work orders, within those orders has addresses. I was wondering if there is a GPS unit that I can use that can sync to the iphone when I hold the address within the iphone and it goes straight to the GPS Unit. Or atleast a GPS unit that has voice recognition.

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Easiest would be a Nav app for your iPhone such as Tom Tom

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

+1. What's the need for the standalone GPS based on?

4. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well we get company iPhones, that almost 80% is being used for somethig else other than gps. We also have an iPad, I was told the the standalone gps units are better than the iPhone apps.

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

No it's really one being built into an iPhone and one isn't. A GPS is a GPS

6. dwa2011 macrumors regular

dwa2011

Just for an idea (something that I have thought about doing myself) is just getting the new pioneer head-unit installed in my car. After having this installed, plug your iPhone in and run the app called MotionX GPS. The technology in the head unit is great (supposedly) and you can view the GPS of your iPhone on the head unit. One difference you are talking about is that you want a GPS... what I am talking about would have to be installed in your car. Thats all I got.

I have the older model of this in my truck, and I would probably purchase this unit but any of these models should have the "App Mode."

This is what the pioneer website says about the technology..."With App Mode you can enjoy listening and viewing the content on select compatible apps directly on the receiver's display from a connected iPhone or iPod Touch. Limited controls such as track forward or reverse may be executed from the receiver."
    Hope I could help!