GPS Units?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by splitpea, Jul 15, 2013.

1. splitpea macrumors 6502a

I'm purchasing a new GPS for my folks, who have an older model car with no in-dash GPS. They also have an older-model GPS with an eensy little screen and a lot of limitations (e.g. spoken directions don't indicate the name of the street you're turning onto.)

Requirements are:

- Must have turn-by-turn spoken directions, including names of streets.
    - Must include lifetime map updates.
    - Lane assistance would be awesome.
    - Dash or windshield mount would be valuable.
    - Traffic info would be cool, but isn't a necessity. They would not appreciate getting ads with their traffic data.
    - No need to play music or provide phone calls or anything like that.
    - Phone turn-by-turn apps won't suffice -- needs to work in areas w/ poor reception.

Is there anything else I should think about when choosing a unit?

Does anyone here own a GPS they really like? What would you recommend? Budget is around $150.

Thanks!

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I have an older Tom Tom unit that ticks all those boxes. If I was to recommend a model, it would be Tom Tom over any other.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would recommend Magellan, TomTom, and Garmin. You can't go wrong with either of them in my opinion.

4. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Nothing beats Garmin. It has the best interface. Clutter free. Exactly what parents need. Before my dad got his iPhone, he had a Garmin. He learnt how to use it in like 5 minutes.

Even I think the TomTom and Magellen interfaces are just crap.

5. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I've used TomTom and Garmin and I think Garmin is hands down easier to use. The interface is just more intuitive. The lifetime maps is useful, but updating the maps on my TomTom takes about two hours, so I don't do it very often. The traffic reporting is useless in my opinion. I paid extra for it because I live in a traffic heavy city, but all it does is constantly ask you if you want a re-route through the ghetto every two minutes.

EDIT: Argh ... just noticed this had been necro-posted by a spammer.