GPS Update - MSNBC article

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whiteshadoww, Jul 29, 2008.

1. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

GPS with voice is not comming....anytime soon. Ive already come to terms with that. May be on the next iphone.

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Not sure how you can hold that opinion after reading that article. If anything it is inevitable. I'm sure we'll see something released w/ 2.1.

What was the development cycle like for updates on the 1G? How long after release did they have a significant update? (a .1 as opposed to a .0.0.1)

3. frolo macrumors newbie

Here's a link to iPhone software updates and their release dates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_OS_version_history

4. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

nothing much

Doesn't tell us much. The sdk will change through an update soon enough.
    Apple's holding back for a reason.

7. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I thought the part about Apple making their own turn-by-turn software was interesting. I could see them doing that, and I'm sure it will be brilliant!

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Where would they get the map data from? It's very expensive to constantly update that information, so it's not something Apple could do on their own.

Companies such as TeleNav buy TeleAtlas data, which is owned by TomTom. Garmin buys NavTeq data, which is now owned by Nokia.

Methinks Apple will have to be content with taking their 30% pound of flesh.

9. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I definitely think turn-by-turn navigation would be nice... but I personally have no need for it. I love my Garmin Nuvi =)

10. whiteshadoww thread starter macrumors 6502

OK the iPhone can forgo a stereo Bluetooth connection, MMS and even video recording but in this day and age I don't think you can be considered a modern cutting edge mobile phone (as I'm sure we all agree the iPhone is) without turn by turn GPS. It must come.

11. jpvaz macrumors member

I realy hope Apple can update the GPS software on the iPhone...

I have 5 bars as signal strengh, full 3G network and 3 cell tower in my line of sight, the GPS on the iPhone (google maps) says i'm 52 meters west of my real location, and dispite the fact that i'm standing still, it says i'm moving!!!

At the same time i have my old phone running TomTom, and it says i'm 0,28 meters off my real location and NOT MOVING!!!!

From this experience, i can say for shure that this is not a signal based problem, it must be a software problem.

In the middle of the city, it usualy says i'm 2 to 5 street's over from the one that i'm realy on. TomTom is dead on acurate in the same situation.

A Turn by Turn system wouldn't be of much use like this.

Apple, please fix this!!!

P.S.: sending a e-mail to Apple to report this problem is... useless!!! I've sent 3 e-mail's to they're "helpdesk" for 3 diferent problems that i found and dispite the fact that i recieved a automated response saying that i would recieve a response to my problem in the next 48 to 72 hour's, i never did recieve that responce and it's been 1 and 1/2 weeks....

12. Stalban macrumors newbie

Did you even read the article?