gps vs iphone tomtom app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by tim100, Mar 14, 2010.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

Anyone have the tomtom or magellan iphone apps? How do they compare to a stand alone gps life the garmin 1690 or tomtom go?

2. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I have a stand a lone TomTom and the TomTom app. The app drains your battery so be sure to bring a charger. Basically they work pretty much the same.

Edit: Oops...sorry just read the post a little better. Hope that helps, my eyes are still waking up.

3. koollectablz macrumors 6502

My wife has the standalone TomTom go and I've got the TomTom 1.3 UK & Ireland app on my 3g.

I prefer the app as it gets a lock a LOT quicker that the standalone unit - I presume because it has A-GPS and uses tower triangulation to get a basic idea of where it is first.

Most other functions are identical in everyday use.

Its my favourite app even though it cost a lot.

But then it was also a lot less than buying a TomTom!

4. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I thought about getting the TomTom app or something like it. The more I thought about it, the more I didn't want it because if I get a text message and answer it I have to restart the TomTom app. Same with getting a phone call on the phone. It's a great idea, but I just got a Garmin 265WT for $100.00 and I love it.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Ever since I got navigon for the iPhone I never used my standalone garmin since.
    I sold it a few months later.

6. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Navigon is pretty sweet. I'm glad they added the feature where you can see the directions they were giving. Kind of annoying that wasn't implemented from the second update.

I use both, but honestly, I kinda like google maps a little better. :eek: