GPS w/ turn-by-turn that can load custom routes

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by RBilRamZ, Jul 22, 2012.

1. RBilRamZ, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012

RBilRamZ macrumors member

Hey everyone, I did a search but couldnt find the answer to what I am looking for. I will be going a motorcycle trip with my dad and need a iPhone compatible GPS app that will fit my needs.
    • I would prefer it to not be internet based. We will be going on some remote routes and I dont thInk I'll always have a signal.
    • Turn-by-turn is a must (looking at 3.5" screen while riding is a bad idea).
    • MOST IMPORTANTLY: Since the trip will be site-seeing based, I am not looking for the quickest route. Instead, I want to pre-plan each route online (either through Google or anywhere else) and load them in to the GPS each day. I know how to make GPX files if any apps can simply go off of those.
    • It would be great if it would create a GPS log or something. I am going to make a book of the tip for my dad, and I'd like to include a map of the exact route we rode every day. If no turn-by-turn apps do this, do you know of any seprate apps that do?
    I'm not too worried about spending $, it'll be worth it for an app that does what I am looking for. I read baout the Garmin, TomTom and Navigon, but neither cleary stated whether custom routes can be loaded in to them.

Thanks in advance.

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

3. DCQ macrumors newbie

Looking for the same thing 2.5 years later

Just found this forum while searching for the same functionality for the same reason. Any thing exist yet?

4. macrumnev macrumors newbie

I am searching for the same thing to use on my bicycle. I want to lay out some route on a map before I leave and have my phone guide me by voice. I am rarely remote, so internet-based is fine for me.

I want lay out custom routes, not typical GPS navigation routes, because I want to zig zag around and my starting point is my ending point.