GPS with 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mrfrnkfrtr, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Mrfrnkfrtr macrumors newbie

Sorry I dont really know much about GPS. So if the new iphone were to have gps and 3g do you need internet to use gps? I have heard that you can cancel the data plan on cingulars website after you are signed up for it. If i were to cancel the data plan would I still get gps? sorry if it has been asked i just didnt see it. Thanks!

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

GPS has nothing to do with EDGE, 3G, or anything else. It's a receiver chip that picks up signals from an array of orbiting satellites, and uses them to triangulate your position.

3. essential macrumors regular

This has to do with one of my questions. I always knew that GPS chips were receivers, but those Screen Shots from the SDK were asking if it's okay to "User Your Current Location" ? Why would it ask unless it is sending data? If it's receiving data only, why are you even asked? In the one gizmodo article, it even said, "the new iPhone software beta, the iPhone camera is now asking permission to transmit the user's location before loading."

So what is the deal, is it just receiving, or is it transmitting something too? If it is transmitting, is it just transmitting within the phone?

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

The current iPhone doesn't have GPS but Google Maps can do a best guess of your position by looking for the location of the cell tower your iPhone is communicating with.

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I believe they were asking to use your current location to geo-tag a photograph.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    On phones in general, you're allowed to enable your GPS for just 911 locating... or for applications to use as well.

It would be nicest if a user could also enable GPS on a per application basis. Perhaps that's what's planned.

Then you could enable it for tagging photos, but disable it for social networks or parental oversight apps ;-)

7. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangulation

vs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilateration

Neither is technically correct, but trilateration is closer to how GPS actually works, since it doesn't use angles but rather distances.

8. Mrfrnkfrtr thread starter macrumors newbie

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

10. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

google maps requires a data plan to work since the maps are not stored on your phone. if you have the maps stored on your phone you do not need a data connection. your gps chip will be on regardless of whether or not you have a data plan but it will be worthless for navigation without the maps. id guess that geotagging will still work.

11. Mrfrnkfrtr thread starter macrumors newbie

So with all of the new information out about the iphone do you still think the same things, if we dont have the data plan can we still use gps?

12. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

You need to download the actual maps as an entire map of the world isn't stored on the iPhone, it accesses the internet to get the maps to display on it, the GPS chip would still be able to receive GPS signal to tell where you are but without the internet I think the blue bubble of where you are would still be on the screen but no map behind it.

13. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Yes, but unless someone releases an app that has all the maps stored on the iPhone itself it will be useless unless all you want is raw GPS data (latitude, longitude, altitude, etc).

14. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

Why would anyone want an iPhone without data anyway? Doesn't that kinda defeat the point?!