Gps

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mac7, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

2. tac22 macrumors 6502

Wifi only doesn't have gps. Can find general location if there are wifi networks nearby.

Gps only in the 3G version. You don't technically need Internet to use gps

3. MarioB macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you jailbreak it is there some app/tweak that could serve as a gps if you are using hotspot on your iPhone 4 to give the iPad wifi

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

As mentioned here and elsewhere, there is no GPS hardware on the Wifi ipads, only on the 3G versions.

To correct two misconceptions I've seen here on MR:
    1. You do not need to subscribe to 3G data service, you can leave it off and only subscribe when needed (then cancel before the 30 day auto-renew kicks in)
    2. GPS works just fine without a 3G data service subscription. Obviously Google Maps won't work away from wifi as it needs to download map data, but apps that load their own maps/routing data will work just fine based on personal experience.

5. Mac7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac7

So even with offline GPS I would still need the 3g version?

6. Justin Luck macrumors regular

I own a Nokia 5800 Nav Edition that has all the map data downloaded on the phone. I am guessing this is not possible with the iPad or iPhone?

7. deeddawg, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

deeddawg macrumors 604

The wifi only version does NOT have GPS hardware in it. I don't have the wifi version so I'm not sure how well the wifi location service (Skyhook?) works to get your approximate location based on your IP address. Based on how well Google Maps does on my laptop, it seems to get within a couple blocks which isn't bad. Of course if you're away from any wifi service then I'm not sure how it would function. I have no clue how it functions if using a phone as your wifi hotspot.

I know nothing about the Nokia 5800, but there are multiple apps which have map data that loads directly to the phone or ipad. I've used Navfree on my phone and both Navfree and ZorroGPS on my ipad. Such a local-data navigation app will consume 2 or 3GB of storage, so factor that into a 16 vs 32 choice too.

Let me emphasize -- I'm by no means an expert on such matters, I'm just sharing my own experiences in an effort to help others. Could I get by with a wifi only ipad rather than a 3G version? Of course I could. It'd be quite possible also to get by without an ipad for that matter. I do find having an ipad to be very convenient and it's superior to the "old way" I used to do some things. Similarly I could get by without the GPS and possibility of 3G data service if I need it. It's worth it to me to have those capabilities however. But that's not going to be true for everyone, so you will need to make your own choices.

One thing I will say -- look at price differences between wifi and 3g ipads even in the supply-flooded, price-depressed market right now. If you buy a 3G version you'll pay $130 more than a wifi version, but you'll also likely get a moderate chunk of that money back in resale. Even places like eBay Instant is offering a $40 price delta; ebay & craigslist seem to support more of a $70-80 delta in general from what I've seen. So it isn't so much that the $130 is down the drain, but that you'll likely get at least half of that back in resale (perhaps less if using a wholesaler).

8. freeman727 macrumors 6502

9. Starlights, Mar 5, 2011

Starlights macrumors member

I dont own an Ipad, so take my reply in accordance.

One of the main reasons i wanted an ipad was to be able to use it as a gps - so i checked both models out at the store and researched extensively.

None of the ipad versions have the true gps/sat tracking hardware built into them. The 3g version uses cell signal to triangulate your position (which isnt extremely accurate or fast) - even though it will work, its more of a gimmick - compared to good gps units. (try using ipad as your main gps in any downtown if you dont believe me!)

So if using your ipad as a gps is high in your priority list - take a pass :)

EDIT: The option in the post above by freeman727 seems to be great - much better than the 3g triangulate method.

10. deeddawg, Mar 5, 2011

deeddawg macrumors 604

Respectfully, someone has given you incorrect information, what I've quoted above is completely incorrect. AGPS does leverage information from the cell towers to get a faster satellite fix, but it is actually using GPS satellite information once that fix is achieved.

Not to belabor the point, but I've used my ipad as GPS in a downtown environment using standalone software (ZorroGPS and Navfree) with no data connection. It worked as well as a normal GPS unit and had my location down to within a couple meters. I'm not speculating, I've experienced it working very well.

More info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS
    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-3G-Teardown/2374/2
    AGPS chip used in iPad 3G: http://www.broadcom.com/products/GPS/GPS-Silicon-Solutions/BCM4750