Gps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhySoSerious, Jul 1, 2008.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

What good is the GPS on the iphone if it doesn't have turn-by-turn navigation? I mean, let's just say that no app makes it that allows turn-by-turn....so we now have a pointless GPS system that shows an overhead view of a dot moving?

2. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Is this serious? I swear there have been like 30 posts like this. It's accepted that it's a misinterpretation of the agreement.

3. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Either way, an overhead view of a dot moving is good enough for me (even though I'm heavily dependent on my GPS to even go to a place I should know how to get to, I usually look at the route, kind of memorize it, then refer back to the GPS as a guide rather than turning when it says turn...).

4. sara123456 macrumors member

I don't just want turn by turn I want to know what lane i am meant to be in :D

5. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Judging by the fact that Tom Tom already announced they had one coming, I wouldn't worry about this too much...

6. elbirth macrumors 65816

I actually would really like this to be a feature of some GPS at some point in the near future (of course, it would probably take a lot of total remapping to even begin to get this working). Some people may not understand why you would want this, but when you're in 6 lanes of traffic and have roads that split off in different ways depending on which lane you're in, it helps to know before you get there which lanes turn and which ones continue on for a while before splitting off. It's no fun trying to jump across lanes at the last minute when traffic is packed.

7. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

well being that this a common problem, meaning sometimes we miss our exits or turns- i wonder if the maps utility, now that it has true GPS, will re-map your route on the fly?

8. elbirth macrumors 65816

that's an interesting question, and something I hadn't even thought about, actually. I'm used to having a GPS that does rerouting, and never even think about the ones that don't do this... I'll definitely be testing this once I get my iPhone 3G to see whether or not it does.

9. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

But wasn't there that clause in the SDK that stated no apps could be designed for real-time route guidance?? I thought that had put a crimp in Tom Tom's plans...

10. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

But then we will have 100 posts about "Why does it cost me $30 for the software?!?!?!?!?"

Oh noes..the sky is falling.:eek:

11. Knolly macrumors 6502a

But the thing is, that clause was copy and pasted from Google Maps ToS, so it may be changed, amended, or just not apply at all.

12. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I don't think the iPhone GPS will be able to do this initially. My guess is that it will just be able to locate and track you on a map and geotag your photos until someone writes an app that can take more advantage of it.

13. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

That's what road signs are for ;)

Maybe it's only available on certain models but I've seen this capability before.

14. Mo0st macrumors newbie

lmao, yea hopefully they'll allow tomtom into the appstore. The gps will come soo hand when I'm on my bike. But I'm seriously waiting on looptd!!!!!.... Can't wait until i can stalk my buddie lmao =]

15. elbirth macrumors 65816

lol... Who pays attention to road signs when you have a GPS? Seriously, though, with the way some parts of the highway here are laid out, it's easy to miss an exit. I'm not totally familiar with the surrounding areas, and when I have to take an exit going toward City C before I'll see signs leading to City A, it can get confusing.

And yeah, a lot of GPS systems have auto rerouting, but there are still a ton that don't have it.

16. elbirth macrumors 65816

yeah, I really like the idea behind loopt, seeing as how it has more of a blog and social networking aspect to it than just friend stalking. I think it'll be sweet, but then I'll realize I only have one friend and will get depressed

17. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

I hope this TomTom doesn't require a monthly payment to use it. i don't mind a large up front payment for the app, but a reoccurring payment sucks.

18. Mo0st macrumors newbie

right!, don't worriz u can add mi even thought we'll probably be miles away!, but hey international buddies lmao =], so now u'll have 2, woot!, but dont get 3 cuz then its a crowd rofl =]...yea hopefully its free

19. elbirth macrumors 65816

I highly doubt they would charge a monthly fee if they do in fact release a GPS app. GPS devices don't have monthly fees as it is, so there's no real reason to have one on the iPhone, unless they offer steady map updates and new features or something, but even then that's a stretch

lol... and the friend that I do have that's got an iPhone is several states away now anyway, so it's not like I'll get to see them out and about near me to go meet up for lunch or whatever.
    Now if they made this into a sort of dating service, that could get interesting

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    1) My Garmin Nuvi tells us what lane to get in, or at least as far as saying, move left, stay left, etc when there are multiple choices. Mapping companies survey highway exchanges just so they can do this.

2) TomTom has said that they could port their app, but like Adobe and Sun and a lot of other folk, they don't have developer status yet... and would like Apple to let them know it's worth doing before they invest a lot of effort.

3) TomTom owns the mobile maps Google uses. TomTom has said that the SDK warning is because of them. So they'd have no problem doing the app themselves.

4) TomTom for other phones is $150. Well, except for ones like the Diamond on O2 Germany, where it's included by the carrier.

21. elbirth macrumors 65816

My Garmin nuvi does this as well. While I do find this incredibly useful, I have still encountered quite a few sections of highway where a lot is going on in terms of cars entering and exiting, and it can get confusing really fast when there's a lot of heavy traffic, it's dark and you can't see well, etc.

I don't honestly think it'll be a feature (at least anytime soon) where they'll specifically say which lane to get in, but it would be pretty cool and help potentially keep drivers a little more safe since they'd know where they need to be instead of having an idea and having to make last minute changes if they were slightly off.

22. xA4Hx macrumors member

Just wanted to add a little tid bit. One your looking for so far that I came across is called Navigon it is sold at Bestbuy and Radioshack. I have not tested it personally, points of interest are under 2 million. But what it does have it is called a reality view, which if set to enable shows the highway like it is to let u know which lane to be in. It is post to only work in major highways.

-illusion

23. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Google has a 5 year deal with Tele Atlas. TomTom acquired Tele Atlas. So Google has a deal with TomTom. TomTom is getting their GPS software onto the iPhone. Apple currently has Google Maps access and a relationship with Google.

It's not too hard to see where this might be going :rolleyes:

StreetView for iPhone, linked with GPS? Say it ain't so...

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I just can't figure out why Google didn't buy TeleAtlas or NavTeq.

I keep getting this strange feeling that Google is secretly collecting their own map data, so that they'll eventually be free from having to lease the info.