Gps??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Green Lantern, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Green Lantern macrumors member

Green Lantern

Anyone having issues with their GPS? My seems to work only when it wants to. I always get Cell Tower Triangulation, but the actual blue pin GPS only comes up on rare occasions. I have tried everything, turning phone on/off, location services on/off, wifi on/off. Still it just works when it wants to. Any suggestions??

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Are you using it outside?

It needs a direct line of sight with the satellites so it doesn't not work well indoors.

If you are using it outside with clear view of the sky, no building or trees interfering, and still don't get a good signal then bring it to an Apple Store for a replacement.

3. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

I have another issue with it.. If you are in an area of no cell coverage, your phone cant draw the map... all you see is a moving dot in the middle of no where...

We needs maps on the phone preinstalled.

4. Green Lantern thread starter macrumors member

Green Lantern

5. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

I totally agree. Mine 'only works when it wants to'.
    Some days it's crazy! it just doesn't work. Other days it's perfect.

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

+1

I couldn't agree more. I used my phone on my road trip to Seattle and there was several times I was just a blue dot w/o a map. Not very helpful for making sure I was on the right road. :)

7. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

IMHO, this thread borders on epic fail. Its a phone for cripes sake, yes it has GPS abilities but that is not its main goal in life. Yes its nice to have the GPS feature in a pinch but for real use or daily use HECK NAW dog its junk.

If you need turn by turn or even reliable GPS coordinates get a real GPS unit.
    They can be had for anywhere from $100 to $1,500 new and will always show a map and will work w/o phone service and in most anyplace. Oh and they will charge and work at the same time unlike the iPhone :p

I think this falls under the "The iPhone is NOT the swiss army knife Steve J. wants you think it is'

8. powermixx macrumors member

I agree but early propaganda had this gadget as a 'turn by turn' GPS device. It's NOWHERE to be found now. As far as I see it, it's a phone with Google Maps = CERTAINLY not dependable for really getting you there (without some U-Turns). This thing does NOT have GPS as far as I see/use it. I'm still hoping for TeleNav or TomTom to make my day.

9. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

my gps don't work well, it works by 30 seconds or so, then stops working. this happened 2 days ago, in the forest.