Gps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TSX, Oct 7, 2008.

1. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

When i use my GPS is there a way to set it where the pin travels up on the phone? I think its called north-up. Thanks

2. The General macrumors 601

North is always up on the maps. To make the pin travel up, head north.

3. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

If you press the little cross hair in the bottom left corner so it becomes blue it will keep the pin centered in the map as you move.

4. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

5. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

Once the cross hair is blue it will keep the pin in the center of the screen no matter where you move. However if you manually scroll the screen the blue cross hair will go gray and not follow the pin the anymore.

6. sv650s macrumors newbie

No, there is not a way to have the map auto-rotate so that it always shows your cardinal direction at the top of the screen such as you would see on an in car navigation system. Once Apple allows a 3rd party company, such as Tom-Tom to release an app for the iphone gps you will be able to do this, until then, you just have to rotate your iphone to get the orientation right.

7. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

ah. i see what the OP was getting at now. Sorry

8. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Thanks this was the answer i was looking for.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Just a note.

The mode you're talking about is called "Track Up". That is, Up is the direction you're tracking toward.

Another popular mode is North Up, which is what Google Maps does.

In general, Track Up is good when being told where to go. North Up is good when you need to figure out where you are.

10. The General macrumors 601

Oh, and for future reference, if you don't see the option at first glance, chances are it's not there. No, 3rd party developers will not be able to add this feature. It's _just_not_there_ and there's no way to make it happen.

This kind of thing is where Android will dominate. 3rd party developers are allowed to write extensions for existing apps, allowing for more flexibility.

This, among other reasons, is why I'm going to switch to the T-Mobile G1.

11. sv650s macrumors newbie

I'm not suggesting that a 3rd party developer will "add" this feature to the maps program. They will, and already have, developed a program separate from maps that works like a typical car navigation system... Apple just has not given the go-ahead on using the software.

12. firewood macrumors 604

I think what you want is called "track-up". It's possible to do if you write your own GPS app and have your own source of map data.