Gps???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sjleworthy, Mar 19, 2009.

1. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

can someone explain this fascination with GPS?

i must be missing a trick somewhere along the line. i cant see it being any use to you unless you do hiking/walking or travelling. Do most ipod users hike then? as most want GPS.

why would i want it if i didn't go orienteering? i cant see why i'd need to pin point my position.

2. DCBass macrumors 6502

I've been one to heavily clamor for GPS in the iPod touch, so I'll give this a go.

Yes, it would be fun for hiking and whatnot, but I'd use it more when traveling. It would be much easier to look at the touch than to bust out some huge visitor map and painfully (sometimes) try to determine how to get from one place to another. Whether it's walking or driving, this would be a nice time-saver.

In addition, I would really like to use it as a GPS logger so I can geotag my photos easily.

As a slight aside, I hope that any of these third-party map makers build in the capability for a top down view of the maps we buy and download. I can't tell you how often I wish I could take my GPS in the car and explore the surrounding area or the path I'm taking like I would in Google Maps.

If Magellan sells a turn-by-turn GPS app, I hope it would include AAA data like it's other GPS devices. That feature is great!

Cheers,

DCBass

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Modern GPS devices are useful for just walking in the city. I was in Hartford last year and wanted to know what restaurants were nearby, and all you have to do is look for restaurants and they show up on the map. I'd think a dedicated unit is better for driving though.

4. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

It's more than just navigation that becomes possible. Apps that know your location can then inform you of friends who are nearby, stores and services within range, where the cheapest gas is within 10 miles of you, etc.. Games can customize features based on where in the world (or your house) you are. Add-based "free" apps can show you location specific adds. You would see local adds instead of adds for product/services that aren't available where you live. That GPS chip can collect info on how much and how far you travel, so travel suggestions and scheduled service reminders can be more accurate. I'm only scratching the surface here. Google knows it, which is why that location feature has been there since the start.