Gps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dukebound85, Jun 20, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Is the GPS location on iphone now only limited to the nearest street? before it would show my location if offroad. Now it will only go to the nearest street where I am

Is this a "feature"?

2. Resist macrumors 68030

GPS is not limited to a street, it is a lat/long location. Did you give your iPhone enough time to get the location information? Did it give you just a blue dot or a circle? If you see a circle then you can be anywhere within it.

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea i have. its just different since 2.0

its the blue dot i get

4. Resist macrumors 68030

With no circle at all? Zoom in a bit.

5. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

i get the faded circle as well, just nowhere near my actual location. it is however the closest street to me though

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Interesting. Awhile back I had a GPS with that feature. I'll give it a try.

7. haydn! macrumors 6502a

When my initially loads its about 1 mile out, but give it a few seconds and it refreshes to within a couple of meters of my house.

8. dwella1 macrumors member

I had a great one on my Blackberry Bold by Garmin-xt. I still use it when I travel instead of the iphone because it is so handy. I cant wait till ipone gets theirs than I will be down to carrying one phone.

d

9. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I think it's supposed to be that way. We go camping a lot, and everytime I check my location it's always on the streest nearest to where I am.

10. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

If you change to satellite view, does it still stick to the street?

11. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

well now its working like normal sorta

weird as the last 2 days it was at the nearest street that was able to ive streetview and email the address

i think its a setting maybe?

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

Mine is off

by roughly 1 house more then fine and like others said fast as ____ insert your own word in the blank

13. Nickday89 macrumors regular

my gps is great. it starts the load within a couple miles, and then the final dot is at MOST 15 feet from where i'm standing. not further, really. i love it's accuracy.

14. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

For me it's kinda off when I'm inside and like on my head if i'm outside. Like the dot will be on the part of the yard where I am standing.

15. Resist macrumors 68030

So you are saying that you are not within the circle?

16. spybeagle macrumors newbie

The best option is to ensure you stand still for the first lock to download the positioning data.

Your approximate position based on cells is illustrated with a wide circle around the dot. Once the blue start starts to pulse, this means that you have GPS data and you will find that it will shift to your current position but you will need to move to keep this accurate obviously.

And one point I didn't initially realise is that you have to initiate GPS in maps by pressing the icon once then twice to get the compass bearing. I'd like this to be a default you can set somewhere so I don't have to do this each time.

This is my first iPhone and I have had GPS phones before, but the speed to lock, ease of use, implementation throughout the interface and accuracy have really impressed me.

17. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Nope!

I was in San Fran in goldengate park today in sattilite view and I was not on any roads, and nor was my blue dot.

18. The General macrumors 601

Are you outside? GPS doesn't like being inside.

19. Resist macrumors 68030

This is not true. GPS works just fine inside most buildings, if your device has a very sensitive GPS chip.