Resolved GPT partition table issue after using windows disk management tool

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mickeo, Jul 23, 2014.

  1. mickeo, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

    mickeo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2014
    #1
    I guess I have ruined the partition table.

    Recently I have booted inside my bootcamp win8.1 partition.
    I would like to have an extra partition for both windows and mac use so I created one in Windows Disk management tool

    Then once it is created. I can no longer boot into mac partition....

    I guess I have ruined the partition table. Anyone has any idea to deal with it?

    Thanks very much!
     
  2. mfram macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2010
    Location:
    San Diego, CA USA
    #2
    Boot into Mac Recovery and use the Disk Utility there? Can't really say much about how to recover unless we know what 'before' and 'after' look like. If you actually formatted a new filesystem on Windows then I'm guessing you'll have to re-install the Mac side which might lead you to having to re-install the BootCamp side.

    Using the Mac Disk Utility tool can resize Mac filesystems and re-partition. But the Windows tool isn't going to know anything about Mac filesystems. So if you are attempting to resize a partition with a Mac filesystem, you'll need to do that on the Mac side.
     
  3. mickeo thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2014
    #3
    Thanks mfram for your reply!
    I have fixed the problem right now. It may help someone who has similar situation.

    In my case I couldn't use Disk Utility as even the recovery partition is not recognised correctly... It recognised my Mac and recovery partition as Windows Data format and my bootcamp partition as HFS format... I have no idea y it can be such messy

    Luckily I have an external bootable mac drive. I can use the Disk Utility from that partition... that doesn't help much. What I can know is that the partition formats are incorrect (as mentioned in last paragraph)

    After searching for a quite a while online, I installed gdisk and tried a few commands. http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/
    Finally I found the change type command and set the correct format. Reboot and now it can be recognised again!
     

Share This Page