GPT Protective Partition

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by uzeshan, Jun 11, 2010.

1. uzeshan macrumors newbie

Hi Guys

I have MacBookPro. I used Bootcam to make parition and install Windows XP. Windows XP and Mac works fine.

I wanted to install Truecrypt on WIndows XP but whenever I tired to install Truecrypt it comes up an error message " At lease need 32KB free space at begining of the HDD. I am thinking it is because there is a 200MB GPT Protective Partition and I cant format the 200MB. I have tired to use DiskPart command but it didnt work because diskpark wont see 200MB partition.

I have also tired to use Win XP boot cd and deleted 200MB partition but when I restarted my mac it keep crashing when i tired to load win XP and works fine on MAC OS.

thanks

2. mrbash macrumors 6502

Your assumptions are right. I believe the software you are using expects an MBR type of disk rather than a GPT disk. I'm not sure if OSX will boot from a MBR disk, but if it can, you would have to re-format the entire disk to MBR format.

3. uzeshan thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks mrbash,

so am I right to say that if I want to convert GPt to MBR I will lose all my data on XP.

As i said earlier, if i delete GPT partition via XP bootup cd than XP wonit work unless I re-install Xp again.

Thnaks