Gpu 2014? improvements?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xpcker, Feb 14, 2014.

1. xpcker macrumors regular

Hi guys,

im really cracking my mind to buy a mbp, all indicates thats the way :D but the thing is the following,

13 inch is perfect for me but for games (can we expect a iris pro in this year? with broadwell seems so right?) i dont want to hardcore game, just a mid-high settings under 1650x1050 res would be perfect.

15 is too big but if iris pro was at least the same performance as 650m i would buy, do you think guys we would get a better gpu this year?

im dont earn to much money so i want to invest big on this :)

2. koyoot macrumors 601

koyoot

If Intel says truth, Broadwell GPUs will be 40-50% faster than Iris Pro.

Which means - say goodbye to dGPU. Neither Nvidia or AMD will show anything better in this range of TDP. Iris Pro is on par with 740M, now will be 40-50% faster.

The only solution is... doing the same thing as they did in Mac Pro. Buying a bigger GPU and downgrading the clocks on core to stay in the range of Power Draw and thermals.

The problem is, Nvidia has supposedly shown the Maxwell GPUs( http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/in...dth=&slots=&sort=released&q=or+type+to+Search... )but they are bigger in size than Kepler(150 mm2 vs 118 mm2).

Only AMD (Radeon 8860M rebadged to like AMD Radeon M500 ;) ) - 640 Shaders, around 40W of TDP, 123 mm2

Thats theory. Only real thing is that we will se only iGPU from Intel in Next MBP's.

3. xpcker thread starter macrumors regular

4. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

But how long this wait could be... With he rMBP just refreshed late last year i.e 2013 I don't think we will see this happening this year !! Will we ?
    If the intel Broadwell chips makes the DGPU exit that is a huge...huge technology breakthrough with the number of DGPU failures being reported that would incredible thing ! But to the poster #2 are you sure with Broadwell chips DGPU will no longer be needed ?

5. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

new Macbooks will come out as soon as there are new chips. Right now it looks like broadwell was pushed back to Q4 2014.

you don't "need" a dGPU right now, for most tasks Iris Pro is more than enough (I have worked with photoshop, aperture, final cut pro on a Iris Pro only machine and the performance was good!).

6. koyoot macrumors 601

koyoot

No, Im not sure. This is Apple and Intel - kings of Marketing and advertisement.

We can see a situation, when even if Iris Pro2(Broadwell) will be significantly faster than GT750M from current MBP's, we will see in them even faster dGPUs from AMD or Nvidia - thanks to Apple GPU team.

Everything is up to those two, how they can manage it. And what power will they be able to put in GPUs, regardless if were talking about Intel and Apple.

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

With Broadwell pushed back to Q4 '14, it's unlikely we'll see any MacBooks with those processors until sometime in Q1 '15. If you want or need the notebook now, buy it now. If you can wait, wait.

For greater value for your money, see if you can pick up a refurbished mid-2012 or early-2013 model. If having a dGPU is important, the GeForce GT 650M is still plenty powerful, and the Ivy Bridge CPU is no slouch itself.

8. leman macrumors 604

From the stuf I read here and there (doesn't mean its in any way correct), there probably won't be a low-power (i.e. dual-core) Iris Pro variant with Broadwell. The eDRAM version is supposed to be reserved for higher-level quad-cores just as its now.

Well, Maxwell is supposed to deliver twice the performance of Kepler per watt. That would make Maxwell cards interesting again. Don't really see why die size would matter, that's like 2mm bigger chip...

9. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

People are talking Greek and Latin now ! Intel Broadwell chips equivalent to a DGPU in the rMBP 15" when ? 2014 ? or 2015 ?

10. leman macrumors 604

If the rumours are correct, the higher-level Broadwell IGP should be more or less equivalent to 650M/750M, maybe slightly faster. Of course, by the end of the year Nvidia GPUs will get faster as well.

11. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

If you want the performance of the midclass GPUs right now, Broadwell will deliver that (Q4 14, maybe Q1 15).
    But graphics are moving on too and when Broadwell comes out there will be new GPUs - more powerful ones.

12. RobobVT macrumors member

RobobVT

I have been impressed with the gaming performance of my 13" Iris MBP, I have 100+ mac games avail on steam and it has performed well on anything older than a yr or so, anything too crazy and you will have to play with settings and as long as there isn't any horrible optimization going on you can play fine.

That being said if your a big FPS gamer and need no frame lag etc or want to play games with max settings you will want the 15" with dedicated graphics anyway.

If you're okay with playing with settings and not running on max you can have a quite enjoyable experience on a 13"