GPU about to die or OS X related?

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
EDIT:
Fixed with the 10.9.4 update

Yesterday my Mid '12 rMBP froze up on me. First time it had frozen up on me since I bought it new in '12. I thought it was odd. Forced it to shut down and then restarted it. Looked for an update and saw that there was one I missed. I updated to 10.9.3 and I see this now when I start the computer.

Very short video
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/fsp8x4e4vzmcha3/AADT3DARAtZbrEcQcOaOpE0ba

That green and purple logo has me worried. Is that the GPU screwing up or is that related to my update? I don't visually see any other glitches except that.

What advice do you have or is there something I can do to check on this?

Thanks for any help that you can give me.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That green and purple logo has me worried. Is that the GPU screwing up or is that related to my update? I don't visually see any other glitches except that.
I think you have a bad GPU (part of the logic board) or maybe the LCD screen itself it bad. I don't see how the OS update could cause this.

Try doing a command-option-r boot to recovery and see if it happens then. That boots from the system firmware and bypasses the OS altogether. If it still does it, you know it is hardware.

Comment

emporiky

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
Seems quite strange. Does this happen on other occasions, or just on startup?

Comment

stevedusa

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Mine behaves the SAME! Never seen that prior to the 10.9.3 update. However mine didn't freeze like yours but my external monitor connected via display port no longer works...

Comment

Shionji

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2014
I had the same thing happen after the latest update, but everything works fine after.

Comment

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Seems quite strange. Does this happen on other occasions, or just on startup?
Just on startup.

Mine behaves the SAME! Never seen that prior to the 10.9.3 update. However mine didn't freeze like yours but my external monitor connected via display port no longer works...
I had the same thing happen after the latest update, but everything works fine after.
That makes me feel good.

I think you have a bad GPU (part of the logic board) or maybe the LCD screen itself it bad. I don't see how the OS update could cause this.

Try doing a command-option-r boot to recovery and see if it happens then. That boots from the system firmware and bypasses the OS altogether. If it still does it, you know it is hardware.
I'll give that a try later tonight. I hope it's not the GPU. I can't deal with that right now.

Comment

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
Just on startup.

That makes me feel good.

I'll give that a try later tonight. I hope it's not the GPU. I can't deal with that right now.
Weaselboy linked this thread to another one about the same issue. Just in case you happen to miss the other thread, I'll write the same thing here:

This has been occurring in 10.9.3 since early betas. Allthough annoying, it's nothing to worry about.

Comment

peace4al

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
Texas
Same issue on mine too. Currently on late 2013 rmbp 15
Happened right after updating to 10.9.3
If using a different color profile, it snaps to the original one when application using dGPU is launched

Comment

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Weaselboy linked this thread to another one about the same issue. Just in case you happen to miss the other thread, I'll write the same thing here:

This has been occurring in 10.9.3 since early betas. Allthough annoying, it's nothing to worry about.
Same issue on mine too. Currently on late 2013 rmbp 15
Happened right after updating to 10.9.3
If using a different color profile, it snaps to the original one when application using dGPU is launched
Thanks!

Gone since the 10.9.4 update :cool:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.