GPU about to die or OS X related?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drag'nGT, May 16, 2014.

1. Drag'nGT, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014

Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

EDIT:
    Fixed with the 10.9.4 update

Yesterday my Mid '12 rMBP froze up on me. First time it had frozen up on me since I bought it new in '12. I thought it was odd. Forced it to shut down and then restarted it. Looked for an update and saw that there was one I missed. I updated to 10.9.3 and I see this now when I start the computer.

Very short video
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/fsp8x4e4vzmcha3/AADT3DARAtZbrEcQcOaOpE0ba

That green and purple logo has me worried. Is that the GPU screwing up or is that related to my update? I don't visually see any other glitches except that.

What advice do you have or is there something I can do to check on this?

Thanks for any help that you can give me.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you have a bad GPU (part of the logic board) or maybe the LCD screen itself it bad. I don't see how the OS update could cause this.

Try doing a command-option-r boot to recovery and see if it happens then. That boots from the system firmware and bypasses the OS altogether. If it still does it, you know it is hardware.

3. emporiky macrumors regular

Seems quite strange. Does this happen on other occasions, or just on startup?

4. stevedusa macrumors regular

Mine behaves the SAME! Never seen that prior to the 10.9.3 update. However mine didn't freeze like yours but my external monitor connected via display port no longer works...

5. Shionji macrumors newbie

I had the same thing happen after the latest update, but everything works fine after.

6. Drag'nGT thread starter macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Just on startup.

That makes me feel good.

I'll give that a try later tonight. I hope it's not the GPU. I can't deal with that right now.

7. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Weaselboy linked this thread to another one about the same issue. Just in case you happen to miss the other thread, I'll write the same thing here:

This has been occurring in 10.9.3 since early betas. Allthough annoying, it's nothing to worry about.

8. peace4al macrumors newbie

Same issue on mine too. Currently on late 2013 rmbp 15
    Happened right after updating to 10.9.3
    If using a different color profile, it snaps to the original one when application using dGPU is launched

9. Drag'nGT thread starter macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Thanks!

Gone since the 10.9.4 update :cool:

10. Quackers macrumors 6502a