GPU choices for 2009 Hex Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by brom, Mar 5, 2014.

1. brom, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014

brom macrumors newbie

Nov 8, 2008
    I've been following Barefeats, MacVidCards on ebay and a bit of this forum.
    I'm pretty excited by all the video options we've now got for our previous gen Mac Pro towers. I wanted to get some advice as things are changing super fast as you all know.

First up I am running a 3.33 hex 48GB RAM PCI-E SSD two 27" LED (Apple) Cinema Displays with mini display port. So, I do like the Radeon cards that have these MDP ports built-in. That said I sense that nVidia cards are smoking Radeon speed-wise. Is this correct? Also seems like there's no CUDA with Radeon (sure I'm simplifying and/or mistaking some of these details).

For a while I was following the 680, then 780, now 780ti, and now Titan Black!
    I also see that the Radeon 280X is available for us too. So there are a ton of choices and I have read Barefeats charts until I'm blue in the face but I'm still no closer to deciding. One thing is that some require external power which I am unsure/worried about (Titans, 780ti etc) while some don't.

I have a nice power supply in my old Windows box (that I don't use anymore), not sure if it will work. Could I repurpose this? The power supply is a Thermaltake W0093RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Version Passive PFC Power Supply
    ATX 12V 2.0 Version
    115 / 230 V 50/60 Hz
    +3.3V@30A, +5V@28A, +12V1@14A, +12V2@15A, -12V@0.3A, +5VSB@2A

Could I use this power supply with a Titan Black for example? Would I be able to easily use one of these cards with my dual mini-display port setup (what adapters would I require, any issues with those?)

I really need to accelerate Adobe Lightroom 5. I will also edit using FCPX. I use the Creative Suite heavily. Also scoring video in Ableton Live (live real-time audio/video sync). Finally I freely admit that I game when I can and want to run everything on max. Thanks for your advice! I am a little reluctant to use an external power supply and do like the built-in Mini Display Ports (nice and clean), but want to get the best card available. Your advice on the best option available for us right now, and how I could make a clean install would be great. Most appreciated
  2. brand macrumors 601

Oct 3, 2006
    I would recommend the GTX 780 as it does not require external power.
  3. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

Jul 28, 2011
    People's Republic of Wrexham
    You have not said what you've got now as far as graphics cards eg: Most things will be quicker than a 7300….

From frequenting the Adobe Lightroom forums and listening to the dev techs there, LR5 does not use the gpu for computational acceleration - but you will of course get the usual benefits just from running a faster card.
  4. brom thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 8, 2008

Thanks Brand and Robert for your very kind replies.
    Currently I am running a stock Apple 5870. (Apple ATI Radeon HD 5870).
    So I am hopeful that this upgrade will have a nice effect.

Brand I appreciate your thought that the GTX780 wouldn't require extra power- I've definitely reflected on this! How would the 780 compare with the R9 280 that I see MacvidCards is also offering now?

Would anyone potentially have the opinion that rather than a 780 with no power supply, that it would be worth it to use an external PS and go for the gusto with a Titan Black? Or is the tradeoff not really worth it compared with the plug and play of the 780?

Even if I were to go with a power supply; could I use my existing one (from my first post) or is there something really easy to install/use now available for the Mac Pro? I don't want to keep my Mac's door open all the time with cables all over the place, would like to keep a clean install.

By the way- thanks so much for your replies I'm hoping to make a choice before the end of the month