GPU diode at 70C, is that okay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jas123, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Jas123 macrumors member

I'm a little concerned as I never noticed it getting that high before. I'm also using a cooler, so i'm assuming without it could have easily been 73-75C

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

70C is fine, the gpu can go up to about 130C safely

cpu load an also increase gpu temperature, as they share the same heatpipe

3. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

So all of the people worried about MBPs running hot are just bothered by how warm they are to touch, not that there will be any real damage caused?

My CPU seems to be running between 50 and 60 C, HD between 40 and 50... seems to be within normal ranges?

4. Jas123 thread starter macrumors member

My CPU, with the cooler, and not doing anything too intensive never passes 51C. However, when I start doing more, it does rise to 60C and slightly above. But I am using an external monitor so I think that is adding to the heat. I was concerned my MBP was working too hard but it is nice to know the GPU has that high of a threshold. any idea what it is for the CPU?

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

high as well, 110Cish, depending on model

well, excess heat over a long period of time may reduce life, but generally components are well designed to withstand high heat levels, and the computer will shut itself down if it reaches a certain heat level

6. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

My CPU, Running iTunes, FF3, MSN and Word with fans at 3500 RPM never went above 50C, handbraking never went above 60C.

But i would get worried until atleast 80C, maybe 90C

7. keehun macrumors regular

Um. 130 Celsius? You will literally burn yourself. That's hotter than the pot that's boiling a lot of water. I'm not sure if you mean Fahrenheit. 130˚C is about 266˚F and that is incredibly hot.

8. MPHL macrumors regular

MPHL

Whenever I use handbrake is pretty much the only time when I see a vast increase in temperature.

9. philgilder macrumors 68000

no, i mean C. just because it can burn you does not mean the hardware cannot handle such high temperatures
    also, core temperature is not the same as the case temperature. right now, my cpu is 50C, case is only 35C

however, extreme temps will damage the components in the long run
    (and maybe those temps were exaggerated slightly, but the limits are higher than you may expect)
    anyway, back to the OP, 73-75C is fine for max CPU temp

10. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

For all the fears of overheating, I don't think I've ever heard of a case of someone actually damaging computer components.

And as people have pointed out, it'll shutdown before component failure. If you don't overclock things, and run it on a flat surface I don't forsee any problems.

11. Chromako macrumors member

130C is not unheard of. I do a lot of work with this sort of thing... on the MBP there shouldn't be any need to worry until at least 90C. So your computer will last 15 years instead of 30. Oooh, wow. There are failsafe devices that prevent catastrophic overheating, anyway.

12. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

13. philgilder macrumors 68000

yes, they are build into the motherboard and the EFI (I think its EFI - the BIOS equivalent to macs)

14. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

While gaming my gpu is 75-88C.
    My old PB was around 80C aswell and I had that one for 3 years, and 75 days played World of Warcraft :p

I guess that kinda temps isn't a problem