GPU Driver Issues on Windows 7 (13" Macbook Pro)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ahippo, May 26, 2011.

1. ahippo macrumors newbie

I own a 13" Macbook Pro and have recently installed Windows 7 on it. I ran into a lot of problems at first, namely no sound. Thanks to some searching I found a fix and now the sound is running fine. But whenever I try to run a game which requires 3D rendering (in this case StarCraft 2) I get a message that says "The videocard was not accessible because no display drivers are installed, another 3D application has exclusive access or the machine was locked."

Now obviously this is frustrating since the main reason I installed Windows 7 was for the increased game selection. I've tried looking for drivers, but even ones from NVidia aren't helping. All they claim is that I have no compatible hardware. My graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce 320M.

Any help?

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Did you install the Boot Camp drivers from your install DVD?

3. ahippo thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I've tried. But I can't even find the right one. Autorunning all of them doesn't work because they all have to be individually booted in compatibility mode. If you can point me to the one specific one I should use then that would be great but right now I can't really find anything useful.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

No, the installer should work on its own, assuming you're using the (grey) disc that came with your computer and not a white retail disc.
    I have no idea why you'd need to use compatibility mode, it isn't necessary on my 13" MBP like yours.

5. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

1. Control Panel > Uninstall a Program > Double Click the old Nvidia Drivers to uninstall them
    2. Restart (Don't worry, Windows will load generic display drivers)
    3. Download and install the latest Nvidia Display driver -
    4. Restart
    5. Update DirectX - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3
    6. Play your game

6. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny