iMac Pro GPU driver update for Bootcamp (Vega 64 only)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Peter_M, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Peter_M, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018

Peter_M macrumors regular

Mat just released a new Bootcamp GPU driver (Adrenalin 18.8.2). Unfortunately it only works for Vega 64. This driver has a massive drop in GPU temperature (20+ Celsius), which makes a big difference with fan noise.

Link:
    http://bootcampdrivers.freeforums.net/thread/341/imac-adrenalin-dedicated-driver-alpha

Edit: GPU core speed doesn't go past 1300-1310mhz in modern dx11 titles (it should be 1350mhz). So there's slightly less performance, but considerably less heat output. Not a bad trade-off.

2. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

I remember playing around with those drivers in the past. I actually messed with voltage & CPU...basically dropping the voltage to keep the temps under control, but adjusting the CPU with it. I actually had a combined low GPU performance profile for normal use & a high GPU profile for gaming. I wouldn't let it go over 80C in the past as well.

3. Peter_M, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018

Peter_M thread starter macrumors regular

I know what you mean, it was hard getting used to GPU temperatures of up to 100C. :)

I've really enjoyed my cooler and more quiet system after 18.8.2. Did a comparison with earlier drivers (official 17.12, Mat's 18.3.4) using 3dMark Timespy, and the difference in performance was negligible.

4. Somian macrumors regular

Somian

Are there benchmarks comparing the stock apple drivers with those?