Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krishest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2020
I’m combining two interests in one mac pro 5.1, gaming (windows 10, GTX1080 GPU using bootcamp) and music production (high sierra, manly running Logic pro). The question i have is what gpu to use for mac os. I want one that can run on low power, preferrably only the 75W from the pcie connection. It only needs to be able to boot from and run my 27» monitor. It needs to be compatible with high sierra without drivers or any other tricks. Would be good to have hdmi or displayport. Do anybody have a good suggestion?

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
If you have both NVIDIA and AMD installed only the NVIDIA (which for any os higher than HS also has to be Kepler) will produce output to the connected screen. You may have to experiment with your card as it has no drivers in Mojave and higher so it may not interfere with the AMD in MacOS. If you want low powered card I would recommend WX7100, although I am not sure about the drivers in HS. GT-710 should boot in HS as it is Kepler.

Krishest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2020
Im using gtx only for windows. I have two monitors, so that the secondary gpu (the one im using for high sierra) only will be used for booting and logic pro (music production) in high sierra. Preferrably this gpu needs to be powered only from pcie port, because the gtx1080 use the two 6pins in the mac.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Why not just install web driver in high sierra?

There is no more update for High Sierra, no need to worry about update macOS may break the web driver. Even there is an update, there is a never break web driver for High Sierra already, just install that, then it will work forever.

I installed this never break driver years ago for my 1080Ti, and it never fail.
never break.jpg

Krishest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2020
Why not just install web driver in high sierra?

There is no more update for High Sierra, no need to worry about update macOS may break the web driver. Even there is an update, there is a never break web driver for High Sierra already, just install that, then it will work forever.

I installed this never break driver years ago for my 1080Ti, and it never fail. View attachment 1674733
This sounds like the solution i need. This provides boot screen? Will try this! Thanks!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
This sounds like the solution i need. This provides boot screen? Will try this! Thanks!
No boot screen. But do you really need it?

You can select next boot drive inside the OS, or switch between Windows / macOS by using BootChamp etc.

Krishest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2020
Have had problems without bootscreen where it wont switch over and im tired of switching gpu every other time im changing os ?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Have had problems without bootscreen where it wont switch over and im tired of switching gpu every other time im changing os ?
When you can't bless the boot drive anymore, it's a sign that your NVRAM is full/fragmented/corrupted, I wrote about this in the past. Try to clean the NVRAM three times consecutively, only let go after the fourth chime.

If you still have blessing problems after doing the NVRAM reset three times consecutively, you have a full/corrupted NVRAM volume inside your BootROM.

Reactions: Krishest

Krishest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2020
When you can't bless the boot drive anymore, it's a sign that your NVRAM is full/fragmented/corrupted, I wrote about this in the past. Try to clean the NVRAM three times consecutively, only let go after the fourth chime.

If you still have blessing problems after doing the NVRAM reset three times consecutively, you have a full/corrupted NVRAM volume inside your BootROM.
Will try this ?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
As Tsialex said, if the cMP doesn't obey your command, you better fix it, but not install another GPU, then let the logic board brick itself.

Anyway, NVRAM reset should always bring you back to macOS. Boot screen is not required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.