Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bharatbaswani

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2017
@fabioroberto

Man I just signed up to say a big thank you! I've been struggling with these GPU panics for years and used gfxCardStatus as a temporary fix which failed several times. I recently found this thread and tried your solution. The panics seem to have vanished. It's been a day without any panic! :D

Thanks a ton!

SimonW500

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
I figured I'd toss this here for people that want a convenient link for the cap. https://mailin.repair/d3-c7771-c9560-1-piece.html

Hi, UK-based 2010 MacBook Pro rebooting-due-to-to-GPU-kernel-panic long-time sufferer here.. something I'm unable to avoid via any software tweaking as the machine is permanently connected up to an external monitor.. used to happen every so often though now seems to be happening several times per day.

Very interested in the replacement capacitor fix - can someone please confirm the precise recommended capacitor I need to buy? The following two Panasonic models recommended appear to be the most frequently recommended: EEFSX0E331ER and EEFLT0D331R, then there's also the EEFCX0D331R, EEFSX0E331XE and EEFSD0D331MR - what's the difference between these various options and, most importantly, which is optimum for this fix?!

Thanks.

Last edited:

rafael.scheid

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2016
Hey bro, I got this one from UK ebay

Cap ebay

fabioroberto, one of the most important guys in this thread, who found the software fix, told me this is one of the good ones for the job. Plus, it has 2 positive lines, so it’s possible to use one of the lines without scraping the board, which I prefer. Haven’t installed mine yet, time, skills issues LOL.

Go for it, man.

Hi, UK-based 2010 MacBook Pro rebooting-due-to-to-GPU-kernel-panic long-time sufferer here...

Reactions: fabioroberto

fabioroberto

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2013
Hey bro, I got this one from UK ebay

Cap ebay

fabioroberto, one of the most important guys in this thread, who found the software fix, told me this is one of the good ones for the job. Plus, it has 2 positive lines, so it’s possible to use one of the lines without scraping the board, which I prefer. Haven’t installed mine yet, time, skills issues LOL.

Go for it, man.
It is a good capacitor. Correction: 2 negative lines.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
it has 2 negative lines, so it’s possible to use one of the lines without scraping the board, which I prefer.
Well, this is only possible if you use an hot air station to solder the capacitor.

If you use a soldering iron, you'll be unable to solder the central pad properly.

So you will have to scrape the board to solder the negative pad at the tip of the capacitor.

And if you use a soldering iron, I recommend to scrape also the positive pad of the motherboard by a few millimeters, it does help to solder the positive pole of the capacitor properly.

DSCF1287.jpg DSCF1290.jpg

Last edited:

rafael.scheid

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2016
Well, this is only possible if you use an hot air station to solder the capacitor.

If you use a soldering iron, you'll be unable to solder the central pad properly.

So you will have to scrape the board to solder the negative pad at the tip of the capacitor.

And if you use a soldering iron, I recommend to scrape also the positive pad of the motherboard by a few millimeters, it does help to solder the positive pole of the capacitor properly.

View attachment 715467 View attachment 715468

Good to know, bro. Thanks for the advice.
Planning on get my MBP fixed, so I'll ask to a friend o'mine who has some good equipment and experience if he has the blower so I can fix it properly.
Thanks again.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
This new video from L.Rossmann shows how the "large" size capacitors with two negative pads can replace the "small" tantalum capacitors, without having to scrape the board.

This fix if not for the 15" Mid-2010 Macbook Pro, but the capacitors used are the same.

Again, this only works if you use an hot air station to solder the capacitor.
If you use a soldering iron, scrape the board on both the positive and negative pads, and solder the new capacitor by using its ends, not the central pad.

Reactions: LightBulbFun

mattyc94

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2017
Just leaving a message to happily say I am another capacitor fix! Thanks to @fabioroberto and others for all the help.

The first cap I had soldered in must have been faulty. Second one worked the best. Persevere folks!

Cheers

Just following up on this. Has anyone had issues with external monitors since the 'cap fix'? The mac will pick up the monitor within displays but not actually show anything on the monitors screen?

Apart from that the Macbook has been absolutely perfect.

Thanks, Matt

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
I have tested all the Macbooks I have repaired (9 so far) with a 1200x1920 external monitor, no issue.

(Eizo monitor, using a minidisplay to display port cable)

Last edited:

mattyc94

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2017
I have tested all the Macbooks I have repaired (9 so far) with a 1200x1920 external monitor, no issue.

Thanks Bruno. Have tried 2 different displays with different adapters so far. Strange.

Mac definitely picks up the display model etc. Just doesn't seem to send the media.

Kamran1990

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2017

(Eizo monitor, using a minidisplay to display port cable)

Hello bueno are you from Germany ... I'm finding someone who could repair my MacBook in germany

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I had the patch working on 10.12.4 I believe. I don't know if it works onn releases after 10.12.4 because I had the capacitor replaced so I could use an external monitor and update the os without worrying about the patch.

Jerzelmx

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2017
I had the patch working on 10.12.4 I believe. I don't know if it works onn releases after 10.12.4 because I had the capacitor replaced so I could use an external monitor and update the os without worrying about the patch.
Thanks so much, I think to replace the cap coming soon. While I will await an update

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Hello,

why not, but you will need to do a very strong packaging, with a lot of damping material.

For information, the shipping cost to return the parcel from France to Germany would be 21,20 € (up to 5 Kg), plus 4 € for optional insurance, plus 1€ per 100€ of insured value.
Example for 500€ insured value : 21,20 + 4 + 5 = 30,20 €

I have successfully fixed 10 machines so far.

You can contact me via "Conversations" if you want.

jhay

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2014
Anyone updated to the HIGH SIERRA and successfully fixed the problem using either fabio’s kext editing or the program called gpu fix by julian-poidevin? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.