Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I recently got a GPU on ebay ,i tried to install it but unfourunatly Like a plonker i connected the PCIE connector the wrong way round. :( Nothing worked of course ,so i tried it the other way round.The PSU fan and the case fan were spinning but not the GPU fan.The thing is some GPU,s have the clip on the connecter facing down and my one has the clip facing the other way.I also dId the same when I put a new PSU in my PC i put the CPU connecter the wrong way round.But when i connected it the right way the PSU worked fine, but GPU fan did not work. :( What i want to ask is have i damaged the GPU by connecting the PCIe connecter the wrong way round. People on another tech site said i had. :( I can,t see any damage on it

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
You could've burnt some component out. It may not be visibly damaged. I've only reversed the polarity on one computer component. It was immediately fried with no visible damage.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
You could've burnt some component out. It may not be visibly damaged. I've only reversed the polarity on one computer component. It was immediately fried with no visible damage.
Oh so they were right then. :( As long as it has not affected the PSU just the GPU.I will make sure i get it right when i get another Gpu. :) It is a bit confusing when some GPU,s have the clip a different way round. :rolleyes:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Oh so they were right then. :( As long as it has not affected the PSU just the GPU.I will make sure i get it right when i get another Gpu. :) It is a bit confusing when some GPU,s have the clip a different way round. :rolleyes:
The connectors are keyed. Although you can still force them. Pay attention that the keys are lined up.

The PSU is probably fine. It's just sending power. The components on the card received it in the wrong direction.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
The connectors are keyed. Although you can still force them. Pay attention that the keys are lined up.
I don’t see how, but supposedly:
TECH_DaveB said:
One VERY important difference that should be noted between the 2.
For an EPS 8 pin or 4+4 versus a PCIE 8pin or 6+2, the pinouts are different, however, as I have seen this done, you can plug them into each other withOUT forcing it. However to do this you must plug it in backwards. This will be obvious by the tab on the motherboard/video card will be on the opposite side of the release clip. This can cause damage to components if you try to power it on.
I just let you know for cautions sake, as I have seen it done before, and it can cause damage to components. They are not interchangeable connectors.
I think, the above is probably your mistake.

Some power supply manufacturers label the cables, you might see “PCIe”, “PCI-E”, or “VGA”. Those will connect to your graphics card.

The 8-pin EPS (provides additional power for the CPU) plug is slightly different from the 8-pin PCIe:

Spsgx.png

Do not worry about the colors in the diagram, pay attention to the ‘pin' shapes.

EPS:

OIP.Bk5dOTMcBTvZZ6ot1URxUwHaHa

PCIe:

DSC_0636_1024x1024.jpg

See how more of the ‘pins’ have a curved bottom?

And, yes, ensure you are aligning the clip with the tab.

Reactions: Roxy.music

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I don’t see how, but supposedly:

I think, the above is probably your mistake.

Some power supply manufacturers label the cables, you might see “PCIe”, “PCI-E”, or “VGA”. Those will connect to your graphics card.

The 8-pin EPS (provides additional power for the CPU) plug is slightly different from the 8-pin PCIe:

Spsgx.png

Do not worry about the colors in the diagram, pay attention to the ‘pin' shapes.

EPS:

OIP.Bk5dOTMcBTvZZ6ot1URxUwHaHa

PCIe:

DSC_0636_1024x1024.jpg

See how more of the ‘pins’ have a curved bottom?

And, yes, ensure you are aligning the clip with the tab.
Thanks for all that info.There are no markings on the my EVGA PSU. :(

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk

The PSU is probably fine. It's just sending power. The components on the card received it in the wrong direction.
The people on the other forum said i have damaged it and give it off as a bad job :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.