GPU options for 2009 XServe

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Flint Ironstag, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

Gents,

what are my GPU options for this? I haven't cracked it open yet, but I believe it's an 8 or 12 core, with 2 available PCI-E slots. I'm thinking maybe dual GTX 970s. This will be for tinkering with OCL Hashcat.

Thanks.

2. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

Please check the sticky thread at the top. I am not sure will they all works with the Xserve, but at least you will have some hints about the OSX support.

3. Bubalight macrumors newbie

You will not be able to mount a double width video card in ether PCI-E slot on an x-serve. The x-serve does not support 6 core, or any 5600 series CPUS. Only 5500s, so at most it can be an 8 core. Also, there is no PCI-e 6-pin power cables internally. So if you wanted to do it, it might be possible to mount the card vertically, and power them with a secondary external PSU, and you just won't be able to put the cover back on the x-serve. Also they are very loud, especially without the cover on.

4. Flint Ironstag thread starter macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

Thanks for the input. So with the current crop of (relatively) low power GPUs available, any recommendations for the most powerful one which will fit an Xserve without going to external PCIE risers?

Thanks again.

5. bokkow macrumors 6502

bokkow

6. Flint Ironstag thread starter macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

Thanks for that link! I think I have all the info I need.