GPU out of the box working?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rip-the-jacker, Mar 25, 2015.

1. rip-the-jacker macrumors 6502

hey guys,

looking to upgrade my GPU for my new mac pro that came today.

would this work straight out of the box? :

ATi Radeon HD 5770 1GB Graphics Video Card For All Apple Mac Pro 06-2012 *10.10 (website ebay code - 251876650664)

cheers, RTJ

2. Raunien macrumors 6502

3. rip-the-jacker thread starter macrumors 6502

hey guys,

just purchased a 5770 from eBay with warranty, my question is though, there is a supplied power connector, is there anything special needed to connect or is there a power connector or such on the motherboard? Cheers.

RTJ

4. MacVidCards Suspended

Make sure it has 2 @ MDP and a single DVI. Any other collection of ports is a flashed card and will only show boot screen via a VGA display.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The connector for the power cable from the vid card (if needed) is on the backplane board, very near the front of the slot area, in the area underneath the 2nd hard drive slot.

6. rip-the-jacker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies guys,

I ordered one that was flashed (i believe) :mad:apart from no boot screen what are the disadvantages on this type of card? My new monitor coming tomorrow has a VGA and 2 HDMI ports, if i needed to see the boot screen couldn't i run the card on VGA and when all is well change back to DVI - HDMI?

Will have a quick look when I'm home tonight and see where it is but your description is good so shouldn't be an issue :)

RTJ

7. rip-the-jacker thread starter macrumors 6502

Cancelled the GPU. Will use the GT120 the now, save up and get a full Mac 5770.

RTJ

8. rip-the-jacker thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey dudes and dudettes,

just purchased a Radeon 5770 Mac edition off eBay for 100 notes! real pleased, once that arrives the only other thing I'm doing for a while is the X5690 upgrade, but the processors are real expensive in the UK, does anyone know if I purchased one from USA I am likely to be hit with customs charges for it?

RTJ

9. Pending macrumors regular

Yeah highly likely to be charged on import. Thats 20% Vat plus carriage plus an £8 handling fee usually. W3690 cpus are cheaper, one to consider.

10. rip-the-jacker thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers for the reply buddy! there are a few auctions closer to home, one in germany, my q is - will a german W3690 be the same as a US on UK one? Im guessing so, that correct?

RTJ

11. nigelbb macrumors 6502a

Germany is in the EU & as we have the single market there is no Customs or any other taxes when purchasing from Germany & importing to the UK.

12. Pending macrumors regular

That W3690 in Germany is well priced. No nasty import charges from there:D
    30 day money back and a years warranty by the looks of it...not too shabby!
    Ive not bought from them but they seem fine. You will def feel a nice speed boost. Good luck!
    (Oh and yes W3690 cpus will be the same)

13. Pending macrumors regular

Should add that W3690 cpu is for a single processor machine, not a dual one.

14. rip-the-jacker thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi there, yeah, its just a single processor system I have, and also the difference for me of 8gigs RAM isn't an issue either, hopefully will be ordering one in the next few days, will document my progress - I currently have the allen key and CPU compound and cleaner on route from eBay!

RTJ