GPU over heats when viewing videos on Safari...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BioCore, May 8, 2010.

1. BioCore macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

Not sure if anyone else has this problem or not, I noticed on my 2007 model MacBook Pro, that when I view videos through either Safari, Firefox or any other browser, my GPU temp goes up to around 81 degree celsius unless fans kick in OR I set them to kick in.

I observe temp using iStat Widget.

On the other hand, I just finished watching a movie on my very same laptop through VLC, that is through a media player and not through flash and noticed that temperature barely hit 63 degree celsius. I know flash still has issues and that this will not probably improve with my model ever in the future, but is it normal and should I live with it?

2. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Sadly this may just be how it is.

Flash and Open GL, the two things that run better on Windows that I wish didn't.

Flash Galaga(that what it's called) is supposed to be otw, and help out quite a bit.

3. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Are you sure it's the GPU causing the heat, and not just the CPU getting really hot and transferring heat to the GPU via the heat pipes? It was my understanding that only very new MBPs could use the GPU to decode movies?

4. BioCore thread starter macrumors regular

Well see that is what I don't understand either. Although my CPU does get hot as well, still not as hot as the GPU. Also the movie I was watching was DVD quality as compared to some of the videos you might find online which are not so high quality.

I was assuming that VLC/QuickTime X use GPU for decoding even in some older models. I'm not sure though, if some one get inform me on this.

5. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

The gpu helps with the performance of a lot of things when on the computer, such as flash videos.

If you ever try playing a demanding game, windowing it and then watch some youtube videos, you'll notice that they'll be choppy.