GPU Panic rMBP mid-2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andreyush, Oct 5, 2016.

1. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

Ironically I posted a few days ago a post with the question : Will my dGPU fail if I only use iGPU ?

Now :D Ladies and Gentlemen. PANICS EVERYWHERE

My rMBP keep restarting when I quit safari or some other apps :( and then it tells me that it restarted because of a problem.
    It even restarted when I've put it on sleep.
    It happens 2-3 times per day.

What am I supposed to do now?

It's unbelievable. I can't buy an Apple product without having the fear that someday a major problem will hit my device. ( staingate, dgpu failure, keyboard marks, touch id disease etc etc.). I pay so much money for what? These problems should not exist for such expensive devices ( premium). I love Apple but because of these problems I can't enjoy their devices :(.

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

3. andreyush thread starter macrumors 6502

andreyush

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- It not only can but it definitely will. Quite sucks. I'm on my third logic board on my 2011.

5. andreyush thread starter macrumors 6502

andreyush

As I said. I am afraid to use an Apple device because of this. The joy of using them dissapears when this major problems occur. :)

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Yes, it is annoying. I'm blessed with some very advantageous consumer warranty laws which means I can ignore the expiry of the repair programme at the end of the year and still be entitled to repairs through at least June 2019 if the issues persist.

7. andreyush thread starter macrumors 6502

andreyush

I am from Romania so I would not be suprised to find out that the service is unavailable in my country or it has already expired :p or some stupid excuse

8. Shamgar macrumors regular

I had this issue develop after upgrading to Sierra. I suspect it was a problem with GPU switching while I was using the Nvidia web drivers. I've disabled the web drivers for now and so far it's better. Does that scenario apply to you?

9. andreyush thread starter macrumors 6502

andreyush

I will try it today...But I don't think that's the problem because my macbook restarts when I quit applications like Safari, Messenger, Twitter. But on the other hand this problem has occured once I installed Sierra.

Anyway. Is the nVidia driver better than osx drivers? I feel like there is not a difference between these two.

10. andreyush thread starter macrumors 6502

andreyush

Hey ! Thank you ! It was nvidia drivers fault after all .. :/ Strange...But thanks again :). My macbook is fine now :D

11. Shamgar macrumors regular

I installed the nvidia drivers to get a little more game performance, and they delivered in that respect. Otherwise, there isn't a noticeable difference.

12. marioleo macrumors newbie

Same computer and same problem after installing Sierra too!! GPU panic. I sent the Mac to a reseller they charged me ~300 and replaced my GPU but kept the same model 650M. I am using El Capitan now, and don't know if I should upgrade again to Sierra.

13. andreyush thread starter macrumors 6502

andreyush

But why ? I just unistalled Nvidia drivers and no more kernel panics. Why did you pay so much ?

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I'm glad I don't have to install nVida driver when I installed Sierra!

15. marioleo macrumors newbie

I did not have any special NVIDIA drivers installed. Is your dedicated GPU still working without those drivers?

16. andreyush thread starter macrumors 6502

andreyush

You don't need to install nvidia drivers. They are optional for extra performance and optimisation :p.

17. spiggott macrumors newbie

spiggott

How did you disable the web drivers? Or are you saying you installed nVidia drivers from the web, experienced KPs so then disabled the drivers you downloaded?

18. andreyush thread starter macrumors 6502

andreyush

Just unistall Nvidia drivers...Worked for me :D