Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dml

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
I seem to be having problems with my iMac's GPU (ATI Radeon X1600 - 128 MB in a 2007 white iMac 20" - Intel Core2Duo 2.16 MHZ / 2 GB RAM) : color lines intermittently appear when I play video, glitches appear when I move windows around, etc.

I was wondering :

1) Is it possible to replace the GPU in such a computer?

2) If it is the case, would replacing such a crucial part of the computer be worth it, or would money be better spent on a brand new computer?

3) If I chose to replace the GPU, would anyone have a suggestion as to which model I should buy as a replacement?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
First thing I would do is install a temperature utility such as temperature monitor to check what your temps are. The GPU might be overheating, causing your issues. If it is overheating, then I would assume the fans and vents are clogged with dust. You can try vacuuming the outside vents, but it might be necessary to open the iMac up to give it a good cleaning. Please note that the white iMacs are very difficult to open, so you might have to take it to a repair shop that knows what they are doing.

If temperature monitor shows that the GPU is not overheating, then you have an issue somewhere else. You might want to try reinstalling OSX to see if its a strange software issue. Otherwise I would just try to save up for a new computer.

cheesygrin

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2008
I second what CubeHacker suggests. Start with the simple, cheap things first - install temperature utility - maybe buy a can of compressed air and blast it through the vents if it's running too hot. Then try reinstalling OS X in case it is a software/driver glitch - although from the description, it sounds like a hardware fault. :-(

Failing that, maybe have a chat with someone in an Apple repair centre, see what they suggest. But I wouldn't spend a fortune replacing the GPU, especially if you can afford to buy a new mac anyway. If you do get a new one, I recommend getting AppleCare too - it's a bit pricey, but covers you for three years with this sort of problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.