GPU problems with 2010 13" MBP 2.4 GHz, 4GB, 320M

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skip2, Feb 3, 2011.

1. skip2 macrumors member

I've had problems with the waveform in Sound Studio breaking up when scrolling sideways as described in this thread.
    Here's a pic of the waveform breaking up if you can't be bothered to click on that link.
    [​IMG]

I also have encountered other problems. In Mail the text breaks up above unread (bold font) messages when I scroll the messages list a certain way (not too fast and not too slow). Here's a pic with 3 screencaps of it.
    [​IMG]

Then in Google Chrome if I resize a window with Flash video playing it produces some errors in the video. Doesn't happen on any other browser though and the errors are only momentary and limited to the Flash video. Here's a link to a screen recording I made of it.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5417088/Screen%20Recording.mov

The computer feels a bit sluggish every now and then and for example iPhoto can be a real pain in the ass as it might lag a lot and spin the beach ball. Exposé also is really jerky most times, especially if I haven't used it in a while. Might start to arrange the windows but then stop or just completely skip the animation.

Then X-Moto is pretty much unplayable due to it's terrible sluggishness. For example the tracks Green Hill Zone Act 1, 2 and 3 are all absolutely impossible to play as they're so jerky. X-Moto worked fine on my old MacBook though. Today I decided to test how a more demanding game would work, so I installed Half Life 2 demo and it ran without problems. It would jerk a bit a few times per hour maybe, but overall it was very playable. So that was kind of a surprise to me.

I have ran the Apple Hardware test from the OS X install disc and it didn't find anything. I've updated everything, repaired permissions using the install disc, reinstalled Snow Leopard on top of the current one, tested on two different hard drives (both 500 GB, 5400 rpm, the other one Hitachi and other one Western Digital), tested with all possible RAM configurations (changing the slots or testing with only the other RAM stick), reset PRAM and SMC and nothing has made any difference whatsoever.

Then yesterday while I was checking out what Time Machine is up to, the window looked like this.
    [​IMG]
    I dragged it around and it didn't change, stayed the same and didn't produce any errors anywhere else on the screen, which I found a bit weird as from my experience that always happens when the GPU is shot and starts producing errors.

So yeah, I really don't know what to think about this situation. Definitely something seems to be up with this computer but I cannot produce any real bad errors in any way and the computer has never crashed or anything and the Hardware Test doesn't find anything wrong with it, so if I take this to the Apple Service in town they might not find anything wrong with it as the computer works just fine after booting it up and the errors are rather minor and mostly not related to Apple software either.

So what do you people think about this situation? What should I do? Is there any way of confirming that there is something wrong with the GPU or some other part of the system by myself or something I should try doing? Also if anyone with a similar MBP could try to reproduce some of the errors or test out for sluggishness in X-Moto for example (it's a fun game and completely free) or scrolling a waveform on Sound Studio (demo of Sound Studio 4 can be downloaded here) or give me just about any advice, I'd really appreciate it. :)

2. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

3. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Take it to Apple, if it's the GPU - you can't do anything personally since it's soldered to the logic board.

4. skip2 thread starter macrumors member

Nothing as I haven't called them yet as they never say anything besides "you should take it to be checked out by the authorized service" according to my experience. And I wouldn't want to take the MBP to the authorized service for nothing as I kinda need the computer with me pretty much daily at the moment and also if they can't find anything wrong with it I doubt they'd take it be checked out again later on if I still complain about the same problem. :(

5. skip2 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I know that, but I guess I'd like to somehow confirm that the GPU really is faulty and at the moment I really can't be sure of it as IMO the computer is not behaving like computers normally do when the GPU is faulty.

6. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Are you running any temperature monitoring programs? If so, what temperature is your machine usually running at when this happens? Those glyphs are definitely a sign of GPU trouble, I usually see them when a GPU is either overheating or doesn't have enough power (or if it's faulty of course).

7. skip2 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I can reproduce everything else except that Time Machine window error and the temperature doesn't make a difference as they can be reproduced straight after booting up or if the computer has been running for weeks straight and everything in between. Right now the temps are:
    Macintosh HD: 35 °C (≈ 95 °F)
    CPU: 62 °C (≈ 144 °F)
    Enclosure Base: 32 °C (≈ 90 °F)
    Enclosure Base 2: 32 °C (≈ 90 °F)
    Enclosure Base 3: 32 °C (≈ 90 °F)
    Heatsink B: 55 °C (≈ 131 °F)
    Northbridge: 48 °C (≈ 118 °F)

According to iStat Pro.

8. skip2 thread starter macrumors member

Alright. I did a fresh reinstall of Snow Leopard and so far all of the problems seem to have disappeared, except X-Moto being sluggish/jerky. If anyone has a similar machine to mine and has X-Moto or is interested in trying it out (it's a fun game), I'd really appreciate hearing if it is jerky/sluggish on Green Hill Zone Act 2 level for example. It can be seen quite well when starting the level as it pans around the level and zooms into the player. Also after that, when actually playing, it's not smooth.

9. f2002q macrumors newbie

I have a mid 2010 17" Core i7 and I've been having problems with the graphics card. I'm pretty sure its the Intel HD graphics because as soon as I switch to the nVidia the problems disappear. The main symptom is shimmering pixels, fairly random all over the screen. I do get the occasional Safari pieces on the desktop as well. I've reinstalled Safari, did the permission thing, etc. but it still happens. I can't reproduce it on command and when I went to the Apple store, everything worked perfectly (of course !!) so they couldn't help me.

I'm seeing more and more posts about potentially faulty graphics cards, so if anybody has any ideas let me know.

10. skip2 thread starter macrumors member

Well well. I've finally managed to install most apps that I use on the computer and all the problems have returned! I haven't installed any apps that tweak the system or anything else that's weird. All apps are legal too. I do find this situation rather weird. But I guess I'll have to take my MBP to be serviced on monday then. I can't come up with anything else. :(:(:(

11. skip2 thread starter macrumors member

Problems continue. The machine has been serviced twice now. First time they changed the logic board, no effect. Next time RAM, no effect. Even if I didn't install anything else than stuff from the install discs that came with the computer the text in Mail still breaks up. It's now being serviced again. I just have no idea what they're going to do with it anymore as pretty much everything that could cause this has been changed already. :(

12. skip2 thread starter macrumors member

Now they've tested it with three different sets of RAM, no change. They've also cloned the just installed OS X to another HDD and boot that up in a similar computer and the problems appear on that one too! :eek:

I called Apple about it and all they'll say is that I should take it back to the authorized service (no Apple Stores in Finland sadly :() but the guys at the service say they can't really do anything to it and tell me to call Apple. Now Apple recommended that I take it to another authorized service center, which I will do today. And I will refuse to take it back until it has been fixed.

I can say that I am seriously pissed off about this all and I seriously doubt that it's going to get fixed. :mad:

13. skip2 thread starter macrumors member

Took it to be serviced at the other shop today. They said it's gonna take probably at least 2 weeks. I do hope it gets sorted in that 2 weeks, because I really need a working laptop back ASAP. :(