GPU question.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DEATHCON51, Jan 20, 2013.

1. DEATHCON51 macrumors newbie

I was doing a little reasearch on some GPUs and noticed that you can get a chip, or like a thicker, card-like prosesing unit. If I have an AMD little chip built in, can I use a Nvidia? Or, what's the difference between the two cards?:confused:

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Swapping out the GPU only really applies to desktop computers (yes, there are exceptions, but small ones). AMD and NVIDIA are separate companies, you can't CrossFire an AMD GPU with an NVIDIA one, nor can you use SLI with an NVIDIA GPU and and AMD one.

Differences… well, you can either get a really technical explanation or a really simple one. Simple one: different chip designs, different design execution, some software performs better with an AMD GPU, some with NVIDIA. Depends on how they're optimized.

3. DEATHCON51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, if my desktop computer has the little chip GPU in it that is an AMD Raedon 6800, can I use a nvidia GPU in my computer?

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Yes. A graphics card is a graphics card. You can swap one out with another.

Though what do you mean by "little chip" GPU? Are you talking about a GPU integrated on the motherboard?

5. DEATHCON51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I was talking about the integrated one. So, if I have an integrated AMD, I can use a, the thicker one with the fan (lol) without having to replace either?

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Okay, I'm assuming you're not talking about a Mac Pro here, since I've never heard of one with an integrated GPU before.

But yeah, you can use whatever provided you've got the proper slot for that shiny new GPU you plan on popping into your computer (PCI-e 16x if we're talking about a newer machine). You'll have to disable the integrated GPU first though. Usually you do that through the BIOS, but since I'm guessing we're talking about a Mac, I'm not 100% sure how you'd go about doing that.

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I want to verify what computer do you have? Mac Pro, Mac Mini, or iMac?