GPU replaceable for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macdeez, May 13, 2011.

1. Macdeez macrumors member

I'm still trying to choose between the the 13" MBP and 15" MBP, and I was just wondering if I am able to change the GPU on the Macbook? As in to buy a better graphics card.

And one more question, is there a large difference in performance between the higher end 13" model and the lower end 15" model? What about the lower and higher end 15" models?

Thank you :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

In 15" MBP, the GPU is soldered onto the logic board. In 13" MBP, it is integrated into the CPU. In both cases, it is not upgradeable.

If you are gaming, then there is a big difference between all of the model you listed. 13" has weak GPU since it is integrated. Low-end 15" has low-end discrete GPU and the high-end 15" has higher-end dGPU. For gaming, the high-end 15" is the best buy if you have the $.

3. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

No, the GPU isn't user replaceable.

There is a big difference between the high end 13 and low end 15 (dual i5 in the 13 and quad i7 in the 15, not to mention the graphics difference).

The difference between the 15s would be dependent on your needs (yes there is a decent difference, but would you notice it?? That would depend on your usage as the higher end has faster processor with more cache, if I remember correctly, I know the 2.3 does for sure, and a better graphics card).

The deciding factor for you would be the usage needs you have and the the ROI (Return On Investment) you would see. If you have perceived value and need in the upgrade then it would be of value to you, no matter any one else's opinion.

4. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

If I were to play games I don't think I'll be playing any that require extremely high end hardware. Games like Sims 3 and maybe some strategy games. I also want to watch 1080p movies/shows, and run AutoCAD with no problems(I'm going into civil engineering this september).

I don't mind paying the money for the higher end but i'd prefer to save some cash for other things such as accessories.

5. Hansr macrumors 6502a

For AutoCAD you'll be wanting a bigger screen unless you are going to be working with an external monitor on regular basis.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

AutoCAD for civil engineering means large 2D plans, most definitely not GPU hungry. I wouldn't worry about it.

7. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

Yeah if it needs a larger screen I think a 15" would be much more convenient...
    I don't think I'll have another screen to work with

8. AdrianK macrumors 68020

I can play blurays (I mean the original, non-rencoded (x264) kind) no trouble at all on my 2.26GHz C2D, so don't worry about that.

Just for the record, Sims 3 is a train-wreck on OS X thanks to the fact that it's not actually ported. It's just the Windows build running in Cider (dammit EA!).

Any who, sounds like the low-end 15" would be fine for you.

9. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

Yeah i guess I'll go with the 15" model, thanks guys :D