Gpu speed difference between 15" and 17" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marcovortex, May 21, 2010.

1. marcovortex macrumors member

marcovortex

Does anyone know if apple let's the 17" Gpu run faster since it probably has better cooling than a 15"?
    I remember Mr. Jobs saying that when they put the 9400m into the MacBook Air they had to slow it down due to cooling issues with the Airs smaller case ( something like 4x faster than the previous intel gma vs. 5x in the 13")
    Made me wonder if the same is true in reverse when they have better cooler and more space to play with.
    Any links or MHz speed on this would be awesome. Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

AFAIK, they are the same :( You can overclock it under Windows though

3. marcovortex thread starter macrumors member

marcovortex

Thanks for the reply. Does it run cooler then? As in you can notice it doesn't get as hot and/or the fans don't have to work as hard?
    My friend has the new i7 15" and under load it seems to get very hot so besides performance (which doesn't sound like it's any faster) does it stay any cooler?

4. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Can't give my word about performance since it differs from program to program. However, it can get hot, CPU temperature can stay constant at 90 deg C for quite a while, but don't worry about it. You'll own the notebook for 4 years, yes ? Run it without worries. I know its easier said than done, that's why I got myself a Macally stand for my MBP with built it fans. I have the front line lifted up just a little bit so there's excellent circulation.