GPU spikes when playing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bilalo, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Bilalo macrumors 6502

Hello

My CPU usage goes between 70-100% when I play dota 2. I have 16 gb ram 15 inch rMBP with 2 gb GT750M playing at 1680x1050 graphics. I read on many forums lots of stuff and the main issue that caught my eye is that maybe Dota is not using the GT750M but rather just the intel hd built in graphics card. Since there is no NVIDEA driver that I can find and alter, how can I force use NVIDEA when playing dota? Is it recommendable and fine? I doubt my laptop being at 6k rpm while playing is good :p

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Use gfxcardstatus to force the GPU into NVIDIA-only.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The mb is working just fine and running its fans at 6k is an acceptable norm! Switching to nvidia using a gfx switcher will still make the fans ramp up to 6+k

4. dyrer macrumors member

dyrer

5. leman macrumors 604

Dota is using the Nvidia card, not the Intel one. This is certain.

As to the rest, I am not really sure what your question is, if there is any.

6. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

It gets to 6k+ playing at 1650 graphics, if I put only NVIDEA wont I be able to get 6k if I go to atleast 1920x1080? If I do that now I feel the laptop will melt literally.

7. leman macrumors 604

If you don't have any problems with performance (that is, FPS way too low), then everything is as it should be. Yes, the MBP gets very hot when playing games. If you want a laptop that can play games well and stay relatively cool, buy a gaming laptop. They are designed for that.