GPU Stress Test Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fenrrris, Jul 15, 2010.

1. fenrrris macrumors newbie

I was playing Heroes of Newerth a few days ago (very hot day, for the record) on my 2010 13" MBP when the graphics began to glitch out noticably. I've since forgotten what the exact features of the glitching were but after a quick review of the HoN support forum the symptoms pretty accurately matched a description of what the forum believed to be GPU overheating. I know overheating can be potentially damaging to the GPU so I'm a bit worried now. The glitching was minor (game was still playable) and I haven't noticed any problems with the machine otherwise so I doubt I burnt the card out, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any GPU stress testing software for OS X. Furmark seems to do the job well for PC but the only application I can find for Mac is xbench and while xbench is feeding me pretty standard results for my system it doesn't seem to do any actual STRESS testing. Anyone know if there's software out there that'll run a more comprehensive GPU test?

2. Drift91 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem with my MacBook 7,1 that I bought about a few weeks ago.

At first there was no problem. Then I upgraded the OS to 10.6.4 and started having the OpenGL problems. After downgrading to 10.6.3 the OS started acting a little odd, but nothing serious, just little GUI glitches like the admin password window poping up without the text cursor already in the password field.

About a few days ago X-Plane 9 started glitching like before, no artifacts or anything, but the wrong textures loaded for the wrong objects. Like the textures for the tires would display on the HUD.

Today I've just had it. Twice the machine locked up with the fan maxed out in SMC Fan Control. Once when I had JUST loaded X-Plane.

So far I have to say I'm extremely disapointed with this machine.

After reading through this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=648737 I'm gonna try the link at the botom tomorow for that program, that is if i don't have to run it in bootcamp.