Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
Hi, I'm hoping someone can advise me on a dilemma I have with my mid-spec MBP. I use it mostly for Photoshop / Lightroom and a bit of casual gaming although not on full graphics options etc. I also limit the fps to around 80 to reduce load on the system.

It has the discrete graphics card GeForce GT 750M and I've noticed recently when gaming that the fans are not spinning as high as they used to and that graphics performance can become jerky. I'm guessing that the 750M is throttling or something like that. The fans spin up when demosaicing my Fuji RAF files in Lightroom as it is a fairly intensive process to render previews etc. I also get weird graphics artefacts appearing in PS when using brushes etc, these go away if I zoom in or out, but it's a pain to keep doing so.

I'm thinking that the Mac needs cleaned out as it will have built up dust in there after the 2 and a half years use it's had so far. However, I don't want to open it up to clean it myself as I still have Repairs and Service Coverage until 8th September and don't want to void it.

Will Apple be able to check it out and clean up the insides? If so, what is this likely to cost? I would doubt they would just clean it up through the service coverage thing I have.

If anyone has any ideas / suggestions, please let me know.

Thank you in advance,

Mark.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Apple will give you a free diagnosis and quote on the cost of any work. If you can take some video of the issues you're having it will help them diagnose it.

One thing you can do without opening it up is to look and see if the vents are clear. If not, clean them. Some people use compressed air for that, but you can also use a brush or whatever you have handy to at least get the lint out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.