GPU Throttling on 2011 Macbook Pro with 6750M

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rabbleboy, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Rabbleboy, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

Rabbleboy macrumors member

My 2011 Macbook Pro is throttling the GPU in every gpu-extensive task, this has been going on the last year.

Fans blow up and cool it all down, but there are no change in Games or similar.
    I am sure it is either the GPU that is faulty, or the cooling paste that is just **** - this was not an issue the first two years.

As an example I cannot play Diablo 3 on everything set to lowest setting, or CS:GO with everything on low. In CS:GO it will work fine for the first few minutes and then start to lag extensively.

It is out of warranty, but can I take it in or is my only chance to open it and check the paste?

This is not a gaming on mac discussion, ty :)

2. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

Try taking apart and giving it a good cleaning. Dust build up can cause it not to let hot air escape. Get a 00 screwdriver and open it up.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's going to lead to Radeongate in some way or another.

The Radeongate debacle on the 2011 MBPs was due to poor application of thermal paste, and that caused the unleaded solder to break even faster than usual.

I suggest you send it off elsewhere to reball a new GPU in with leaded solder, and reapply the thermal paste properly.

Oh, and also reapply the thermal paste on the CPU considering that the logic board's already taken apart anyway.

4. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

Do you wear that tin foil hat outside? Use the kiss theory (keep it simple stupid). Start simple