GPU underclocks when it gets to warm

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MagnusB, Jul 24, 2012.

1. MagnusB macrumors newbie

So i got my new retina macbook pro. I love it, but got a problem with playing games in bootcamp. When the gpu hits 96C it starts to randomly drop the gpu clock. It drops to 724 and sometimes all the way down to 250. This results in a major fps drop in battlefield 3. Do anyone know how i can fix it?
    PS. it happens with both the driver included with the bootcamp and the newest beta from nvidia. :(

2. Arcsylver macrumors member

I would think that having the graphics card throttle itself down to prevent thermal damage to the computer would be a desirable thing, not something you would want to disable.

3. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

you need to make sure the air vents are clear and not play on your lap or bed or something like that. It needs to be on a hard surface only in a cool room and not on a hot day.

If it still keeps happening then your thermal paste probably isnt on correctly and its been badly applied.

4. Centsy macrumors regular

This is a "feature" of the 6xxm series of graphics chips. You are supposed to be able to prevent this by increasing the voltage, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

If you are concerned with the temperatures and want to reduce them elevation of the rear of the machine helps, as sitting flat on the desk only reflects the head back to the base of teh Mac. You can buy passive aluminium coolers like Rain Designs Mstand or iLap. Most powered coolers are designed for PC notebooks and dont work overly well with Mac`s one cooler that does work efficiently is the Moshi Zefyr 2, as it`s principle of cooling is specifically designed for Apple portables, by blowing the air across the base of the computer.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Link: Moshi Zefyr 2

As also stated you can use software to manually override Apple`s own cooling algorithm by manually taking control of fan RPM and setting up power profile presets with SMC Fan Control (needs update for 2012), or you can look at UltraFan which allows you stipulate a preset temperature and the software will automatically raise and lower fan RPM`s to keep the system at the predefined temp.

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Probably the last thing you should be thinking about, given that it will only reduce temperatures 5C-8C at best if you are lucky, assuming the thermal paste has been applied poorly and you may very well damage the machine in the process and it wont stop your problem

Older machines can benefit, although i rather suspect this more to do with having the heat-sync`s cleaned out and thermal paste has improved over recent years.

You need to increase cooling or reduce the load on the GPU dropping resolution etc. One thing that may just work is log into OS X download SMC Fan Control set fans to max, boot back into Windows and hopefully the fans will still be running at max RPM.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Go into your local supermarket and play games in one of those walk-in fridges. There is normally beer in those so it's a win-win situation.

8. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

If the paste isnt making a good contact you can increase your temps significantly. Apple has been known in the past to have shoddy control when it comes to this and my guess is that its no better today either.

Anandtech sees no drop in performance with the rMBP so he shouldnt either.

9. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

Strange that I know a really heavy gamer not commenting anything about throttling. Even with his absurd 1200mhz OC to the core.

Install lubbo fan control and raise the fans to the maximum.

10. ZipZap macrumors 601

$80?!?!?!?!?!

11. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

OP doesn't specify how long he was playing for, nor the resolution. Anandtech doesn't specify that they tested gaming under Boot Camp and with a starting price of $2400 reaching for the screwdrivers is likely not the first recourse of action.

There was a post not so long ago; one of the members was convinced that poor application of thermal was the root cause of his high temps and he did a tremendous job of documenting everything pictorially including Apples less than perfect application of the past, yep it looked a mess, all over the place. Careful cleaning and precise application of a high quality paste net result? nada, nothing realistically no real tangible benefit. His machine did run a little cooler and once again being an older system cleaning the cooling system may well have brought the bulk of the benefit. I in his own words or thereabouts it simply wasn't worth it :eek:

Safe to say Apple have moved on with quality control, and it`s often prudent to check how much gas is in the tank before you start ripping the motor out :p i dont discout your theory however it wouldn't be first on my list and likely one of the last. For all we know the OP could have been playing the game on his bed, effectively blocking air circulation, of course if he`s is happy to "have at it" with the Pentalobe screwdriver then we will all happily wait on the pictures :p

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Or go buy a $5 USB fan and place it strategically, it wont look good, be a bugger to fit in that ever so elegant bag you just bought to tote your new Mac about in :p oh and how much does a Retina cost ;) you get what you pay for, more than ever these days...

If you want a cooler that is portable, efficient, quiet, works well with your MBP and has the same construction, aluminium the Zefyr is it. I have one myself and they do work albeit at a price. Moshi have always made great products for Mac`s and like the MBP they come at a premium, i too would like to see a reduction in price, however not at the cost of quality and to to some extents aesthetics.

13. Centsy macrumors regular

If you look at his thread, he links to an article that talks about the throttling in the 6xx series.

14. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

i never said any of this.

i was going to recommend to send it back if this problem carries on

15. Furifo macrumors 6502

I think I remember that thread. Was it this one: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1105643

Kudos to the OP of that thread for actually doing it!

16. MagnusB thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for many answers! just to fill you guys with a bit more information, it happens just 2-3 minutes after i start the game, and it only happens in windows not in os x. Maybe the reason for that is the temperature don't hit 96c. I will contact an apple supplier and let them check the thermal paste. But i still find it a bit strange that its only me who have this problem.

17. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I never said you did.....

----------

Try SMC Fan Control, Windows typically doesn't handle Mac`s cooling very well, it likely just needs the fans to spool up to stop the over temp

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You have some truly excellent ideas.

None of these things bring down the temperature very much. I have yet to see a single laptop cooler that makes a significant difference in required fan speeds or temperature at a fixed fan speed.

Generally it's not an issue if something runs a bit slower. Most users are just put off by jerky/inconsistent behavior where their framerates undergo drastic changes due to thermal behavior. I'm not sure if there's a way to limit framerate in a game. If there is, this would be ideal.

19. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

V-Sync will limit FPS, although I doubt it`s the solution here.

20. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Indeed. My advice is always useful and practical, but not always sobering.