GPU upgrade now....or in a month or so?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Pedro86, Jan 21, 2010.

  1. Pedro86 macrumors newbie

    Mar 10, 2009
    Hi guys,

    Looking for some advice, I can't find anything in the forums or news about what the next GPU's will be for the next gen mac pro. Also I cant seem to find out when it will most likely be released. What I am wondering is if I am to upgrade my mac pro should I wait and get something in a month or how ever long it would be, or should I utilise the threads surrounding the 4890/70 by rominator and cindori et al and just upgrade to one of those cards.

    My current spec is:

    2008 Mac Pro 3.1
    2.8 Ghz Octo
    10 GB ram
    ATI Radeon HD2600XT
    1* WD 500GB
    2* Barracuda 1TB

    I mainly use my station for work, in the design sector. So all Adobe programs CS3, Rhino, C4D, Final Cut Pro, SBP, as well as running windows 7 in bootcamp for PC design packages like 3DSmax, Maxwell.

    Also any recommendations on cards, if not the 4890, I was looking at some of the Quadro workstation cards as they are better for photoshop and graphics programs. True or false and any suggestions desired please!
  2. 10THzMac macrumors 6502

    Dec 17, 2007
    On the Nvidia side I reckon we will have a wait of a lot longer than a month or two for any new OS X native cards. If it's for Bootcamp maybe early Q2 for Fermi cards. It was noticeable that CUDA support for Fermi had Macs conspicuous by their absence - only Windows and Linux was mentioned.

    If you want Nvidia now for OS X the OS X 285 is a lot quicker than the OS X Q4800, unless you have got your paws on some Quadro-optimized drivers for specific apps.

    Perhaps your best bet is to see what cards come with 2010 Pros in standard or BTO.
  3. peskaa macrumors 68020


    Mar 13, 2008
    London, UK
    I'm hoping that an update by March will have a nice new GPU - either a 5870 or a Fermi. That can then be put in a 2009...

Share This Page