GPU's and G5's

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bobreborn, Aug 30, 2014.

1. bobreborn macrumors member

What are the GPU possibilities of a PowerMac G5 Quad core 2005? On everymac it lists a 6600 but I don't have one. I can just grab one on ebay for 20 bucks but I've got this ATI HD5670DE (dell version) and I was curious if there was any way to get him working by flashing the bios.

If I do have to grab one off ebay what would get me the best resale value in the G5 when I sell it (probably once it's working because I just can't seem to figure out a workable solution to offload processing from my MBP running Logic)

Thanks!

2. sarthak macrumors 6502

I don't think the 5760 would work.

If you get the 6600 be sure it's the 256mb PCIe version that comes with the G5 Quad. To be honest, it's not a powerful card. It's decent, can handle X-Plane 9 in medium settings on the ACD 30" but that's pushing it to the limit.

There are other more powerful cards out there for $30-60.

3. bobreborn thread starter macrumors member

I really just need it for Logic so screen rendering @1080p is about it. And whatever graphical demands Mavericks puts on it. I probably won't get this guy working so it'll more than likely get sold - you think those nicer cards would see a return on investment as it were? I don't see G5's going for more than 400 on craigslist

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I don't think that the graphical demands of Mavericks are in any way a concern for a G5 :)

As for price, around here most good working G5s are in the $100 to $150 range on Craigslist. I never see Quads for sale around here, but that could push the price up a fair bit. I think that it would be hard to get over $200 for a running Quad around here, though.

I think that upgrading to a top of the line graphics card will help the price-at least to a knowledgeable buyer-but upgrading the standard card to a midrange one likely won't make much difference.

5. bobreborn thread starter macrumors member

hahahaha that's right - brain fart - Leopard only!

Well Maybe I'm in a good area of the country in need of G5's. Well If I can get her up and running whatever I can get is at least a little bit closer to getting a Mac Pro 3,1 or something that can handle my Logic projects.

6. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I put a Radeon X1900 with 256MB in my quad G5 and I think it takes care of business quite nicely. It was also was cheap compared to the GeForce 7800 (but I see those are way down in price too). The only issue I have with it is the fan noise during boot up, but that quiets down with the login screen.