Gpush vs. Mail?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by s1w, Oct 2, 2009.

1. s1w macrumors member

I don't get all the fuss over these new Google push apps. I've got a gmail account set up in Mail on my iPhone. It retrieves my mail every 15 minutes or automatically when I open the app.

Am I missing something with this "push" functionality or is the hype over getting the notification instantly as apposed to 1 minute or 15 minute intervals as the Mail app offers?

Thanks for the clarification.

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

You could visit

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252

And get push for free.

To answer your question, I prefer having push because where I work if I get an email lets say at 5:05, and I have already left for the day, but I recieved it at say 4:52, my boss would yell at me for not checking my email, and I would be in trouble. Now, when he sends it, I get it, and I can act accordingly.

3. firedogut macrumors regular

you have to remember that up until a week ago gmail did not support push thus why there are so many apps that you can buy for this feature.

now that gmail supports push i see no need to buy the apps

4. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

gmail has always supported push, however the iPhone does not. they dont' have true "push" they just check for new mail constantly. Push is in my understanding a small SMS message that is a keep alive and is sent out to see if there is any updates, which then the device goes and updates. True push is better for battery life, which is why the iPhones batter life on "push" stinks

5. drivesoslow macrumors newbie

The iPhone does do true email push. It has complete support for the standard ActiveSync OTA push done by Exchange.