Gpush vs. Pushmail?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by FortWorthMac, Aug 10, 2009.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Hello,

Aside from the price and the way one has to sign up (new account vs giving one's email credentials) are there any differences in the way the two apps Push messages out?

I've been using Pushmail for about a week and it's working flawlessly. I read about some of the issues/growing pains Gpush is having but aside from that just wanting to see how it compares.

Thanks

2. funnyboy88 macrumors regular

If Gpush was up and working, I'm sure people could answer this.

3. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

My bad. It was my understanding that a few people had been able to get the app before the developer had it pulled.

David

4. hks99 macrumors newbie

Some were able to buy it and testi before it got pulled away, after that login worked for some time but then they were cut-off too. Now they are re-writing the app and ramping up the servers.

Link has post about GPush and link to twitter status
    http://mac-a-holic.com/2009/08/11/gpush-iphone-app-delayed-due-to-huge-demand/

5. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

i don't think gpush nor pushmail work well. NONE of them have badge support. you just get push notifications that disappear immediately if anything else happens on your phone.

for example you're sleeping. you get 5 emails during the night and each notification is pushed. you will ONLY get the last push notification on screen. if you get an sms after all of those emails, all you will see is the sms text on your screen, with no indication that any push notifications ever reached your phone before the sms.

REALLY pointless.

6. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

I would say if Gpush can get their servers running well (they're still having issues, but I've experienced times when everything is working perfectly), Gpush is perfect for Gmail users. The badge count is always accurate to how many messages you have, clears if you read messages, and follows threading (if you get 3 new messages in a thread, badge will only show one like Gmail).

The only downside at the moment (besides their servers) is they use the same sound as SMS messages. However, they claim they're adding sound choices in the next version.

7. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    Another downside to GPush is... it doesn't work. My badge is "1" no matter what, and I've received 2 notifications in 2 days with about 45 emails. It's not ready for prime time yet.

8. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

Well this is an easy one for me considering GPush has absolutely never worked for me at all. I would have to say that Pushmail is better.

9. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I bought PushMail today and can report that it works flawlessly. And the developer was quick to answer a question by email. He's working on making use of the badge, which it currently doesn't use.

So far, so good. I have no experience with Gpush, though.

10. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

I use both apps.

The main difference between them is PushMail uses forwarding to its own user created domain to notify, while GPush syncs with the google servers.

That is why GPush is able to have badge notification of unread emails, while PushMail is a one time installation and the app can be dumped to the last screen without further occurence.

Another aspect to consider is that for GPush to work you need to key in your gmail user name and password.

11. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    I amend my post, for now. GPush is working great so far today...