Grab New Verizon iPhone? Or wait till iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ivdig, Jan 9, 2011.

?

Get a Verizon iPhone 4 if it is released? Or is iPhone 5 worht the wait?

1. Verizon iPhone 4: Why wait? Intsant gratifaction is the American way.

27 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Verizon iPhone 5: Wait, its only a few months away.

35 vote(s)
    56.5%
  1. ivdig, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011

ivdig macrumors newbie

Just wondering what people's opinions are on the imminent release of the Verizon iPhone. I am seriously considering getting one once it is released. But I also am tempted to just wait until iPhone 5's release this spring. I see the most likely area of iPhone 5 improvement as being an antenna redesign. Whether this is worth the wait is the question. Love to know your opinions.

This conversation is very hypothetical at this point. Tuesday will hold much more insight. But thought this would be a good way to segue from pre-post discussion.

- ivdig

2. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

Get it and enjoy the phone..... and if you need the iP5 sell the iP4.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Well traditionally Apple doesn't release a new iPhone until June/July. So the imminent release of the Verizon iPhone marks something new and it is yet to be known what/when will be the iPhone 5 for GSM phones.

If you need a CDMA iPhone then get the new Verizon one (if it is released this week) or get an iPhone 4 on GSM now or hold out until/if there is an iPhone 5 this summer.

We'll all know more after Tuesday.

4. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

If there is one thing I've learned with Apple is to not sit back and wait (White iPhone 4). Not to mention Apple products hold their value so well you can easily sell and recover most of your expense and buy the newest version. I will also see if I can buy the Verizon iPhone on a 1 year contract so that I can upgrade next year.

5. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

We don't even know if the iPhone 5 in June will be CDMA-capable. What if the Verizon iPhone is updated on a February basis? And AT&T always gets the features 6 months ahead of Verizon?

6. Che Castro macrumors 603

i see why they call you saint

good question

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The only thing better than a new Verizon thread is a new Verizon thread with a poll.

8. alupo790 macrumors newbie

i dont think there is any way that the the iphone gets released this month then again in june for verizon. the masses of people that would be in apple stores in june to get the phone would be too crazy. it makes more sense to release the cdma and gsm models on a different schedule, at least til the lte version comes out and apple sells it unlocked.

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

We don't even know for sure if their will be a Verizon iPhone on tuesday, Why don't people wait to see what gets released (if anything) before creating polls on which version to buy.

I'm already seeing threads titled "why is the Verizon iPhone CDMA only?" "Will their be an LTE version in June?" "Will the Antenna be different" "Will Verizon put their bloatware on the new iPhone?" "Will my Apps work on the Verizon iPhone, or do I have to buy them again?"

I'm all for rumors, but people need to chill and wait to see what gets released (again, if anything)

10. GolpherZX macrumors newbie

All of the threads being posted just show how popular of an idea that Verizon getting the iPhone is.

rdowns- why do you even click into the Verizon threads? Or better yet, why isn't there a sub-forum for this? That might help folks out some here.

11. alupo790 macrumors newbie

personally this is the biggest question i have. i dont want to be locked into a 2 year contract and get screwed when a new phone comes out in 4 months. i dont think that there will be a new verizon iphonein june tho. why would apple make a cdma iphone 4 or perhaps an upgrade to the ip4 for 6 months only when it can sell them for much longer then that. i think its more likely that this is the phone they will release in june on att, but it will be released on vzw in late jan early feb, then they will release the lte model in june 2012 on both carriers

12. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

13. stewart715 macrumors 6502

iPhone 4 as soon as it's released. I'll give my girlfriend iPhone 4 when 5 comes out, or something..

14. stewart715 macrumors 6502

Haha I love comments like these because it's so true. MacRumors is going to have to do some major house cleaning in there forums if/when Verizon announces something completely different than the iPhone.

(Note, I still think it will be announced Tuesday)

15. stewart715 macrumors 6502

See, I hate comments like this. You are bitching about rumors on a site with the word "rumors" in it's name. What a joke.

16. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

I really just hope they give us some insight as to whether he new iterations of the iphone will be available at the same time on VZW as they are on AT&T. I am just nervous to wait till June and find out it isn't coming to Verizon right away. Then I either wait another 6 months and get the new VZW iPhone or buy the iphone I could have had in Jan/Feb.

On another note, Apple still says the white iPhone is coming in the spring. Is it possible that we won't see an iPhone 5 in June/July like we are use too? It just doesn't make sense to introduce the white iphone 3 months before the iPhone 5 comes out. For that matter it makes no sense that Apple would release the iPhone 4 on vzw and turn around and in 5 months have the iphone 5. Didn't they learn their lesson from when they dropped the original iphone price from 600 to 300 months after release? Or is Jobs that greedy that he doesn't care and want to get as many sales as possible locking users in for 2 years.

17. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Bada bing!

18. icyfire macrumors 6502

or how about option C, buy the iPhone 4 right now, sell it in June/July and then buy the iPhone 5? Sure, you will be out some money, but at least you will have gotten to use the goodness for a bit, 5 months is a long time to be without.

19. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Very valid option.

But what do I know? I'm still rocking the original iPhone!

:D

20. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

i doubt there will be an iphone 5 on verizon. apple will most likely release the iphone 4 with cdma and then merge the models with the iphone 6 in 2012.

21. d.shorty1 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

or verizon ip4 is slightly upgraded and 6 months ahead of the ATT version with 2 release cycles...just a thought

22. shadrap macrumors 6502

50% on a tech site, Macrumors, saying they are going to wait. Kinda hard to believe considering we all want the latest and greatest. Gonna go ahead and say it. I believe there is a lot of AT&T people voting with no intention of switching carriers.

Would love to see Apple and Verizon come out with an updated iPhone that would be the same or very similar to the one for AT&T in July.

23. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I'm a VZW customer and I'll be in line Feb. 10th to get both me and my wife iPhones.

24. JASApplications macrumors 65816

25. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99