Grabber - quick question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DW58, Oct 15, 2011.

1. DW58 macrumors regular

DW58

While Grabber is a great little utility, the fact that it saves grabs as TIFFs by default is a pain in the ass.

Is there any way this can be changed to either JPEG or PNG?

TIA.

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you looked into taking screenshots via keyboard shortcuts, which is faster than using "Grab", if that is what you mean with "Grabber"?

3. DW58 thread starter macrumors regular

DW58

I have - I have that bookmarked in fact, but I quite like the way Grabber works - Grabber is what the Mac Utility is called after all.

There is this, but saving in a more sensible format in the first place would make more sense.

[​IMG]

4. simsaladimbamba

Sorry, I can't help you with Grab though, as I use the shortcuts, which are faster for me, as the result is automatically saved as .png to the Desktop, which I then can use in Preview or Photoshop, like picture below, an edit, which took me less than two minutes, due to the automatic saving feature of the keyboard shortcuts.

[​IMG]

Just out of interest, what is that way Grab works, that you like?

Anyway, using a search algorithm of my choice I found this, which resulted in this.

5. DW58 thread starter macrumors regular

DW58

Being a relative newcomer to Mac, it's very much a case of what I'm used to - for a long time I used a little utility called Faststone Capture over on the Dark Side, Grab is similar. I've never used keyboard shortcuts much until now other than cut and paste.

Oh and my apologies, I see what what I called Grabber is actually Grab.

I guess shortcuts are easier - question answered, thanks.

It's ... ... ...

... ... ... from now on.

6. simsaladimbamba

I understand, though I never used to make screenshots in Windows, as it was not that easy then. But the Mac OS X shortcuts for doing so are quite handy and fast and can be used by one hand and are a lot quicker than using a dedicated software.

7. DW58 thread starter macrumors regular

DW58