Grad student new vs old MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kwaiixoxo, Oct 31, 2018.

?

Which MBA to buy?

1. New MBA

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Old MBA

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. MBP

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. kwaiixoxo macrumors newbie

I’m a grad student can’t decide which MBA to buy? I mostly do internet browsing, watch videos, and MS Word, PPT, etc. Assume I will have to get 256 ssd so looking at $1049 vs $1349 for old vs new MBA

I hope to use the computer for at least 4 years, but $300 seems like a lot for USB-C ports, retina display, and new trackpad/keyboard. What model do you all think I should buy?

Thanks!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 31, 2018 ---
    *Update prices were with education discount!

2. cornerexit macrumors 6502

MBA, lowest storage (buy an external drive), and 16gb of RAM.

3. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

I would wait for specs and benchmarks on the new MBA, but if I had to make a knee-jerk choice, I'd say the new one.

4. sosumi99 macrumors 6502

sosumi99

The new one. I cannot imagine trying to last four years with a non-Retina display. Your eyes will bleed.

Nothing is certain until benchmarks come out and/or you go and experiment with the new machines in an Apple store, but it seems clear that the new MBA will be a substantial upgrade over the old one (mainly because the old one is so overpriced for what it is).

5. Lara F macrumors 6502a

I have a 2011 MBA and I honestly don't know what's worse - continuing without retina (2017 MBA), continuing with 128 GB storage with a less pleasant/reliable keyboard (entry-level new MBA which is the absolute most I could afford) or going with Windows. Sigh.

6. RegularGuy09 macrumors member

The keyboard is one major thing scaring me away from the Air. I cant have the keyboard crapping out on me a week after warranty ends.

7. Lara F macrumors 6502a

I know. My current Air wasn't cheap, but it wasn't super expensive (to be fair living in the US near a tax-free state at the time helped) and without question a great value given how long it's lasted. I hope the new ones can last as long, but the keyboard makes that hard to trust.

I guess the fourth alternative is to wait as long as possible (probably another year) until there's some sale so I can afford the 256GB version. It seriously sucks that Apple's charging so much for it.

8. jalf991 macrumors newbie